Is there a way to clip a plant against a wall so it does not "stick through"?

If a large shrub is against a wall or fence - it also naturally “sticks through” and is visible on the other side. Not always a problem, but there are occasions when there is a garden feature / wall that is visible from both sides.

Possible handle with Grasshopper but sounds computationally intensive.

Any suggestions welcome

Hi @rodlaird, if you have created the shrub from a vertical curve, flip its direction (_Flip command) before running the _laShrub command, and make it grow in the opposite direction. You can apply the same procedure with Groundcovers or Forests created from vertical curves.

Did not know you could pop a shrub on a vertical curve!!! wonderful. Will try tomorrow - and thanks for the super quick response.

OK - Finally got around to trying this with no success. All I get is shrubs arrayed on a vertical curve! Apart from being weird, this does not solve the problem with leaves penetrating walls…

Sigh.

Hi Rod,
That may happen because the shrub is projected onto the terrain, and that way it ignores the vertical curve where it should lay.
Just select the shrub, and from the Edit panel > Edit area, say “Don’t adjust to terrains”:

If your problem is different, please attach screenshot and 3dm file so I can understand what’s happening.

Thanks Francesca,

The attached file shows the problem! As does the screen snapshot…
Plant through wall|690x328

Here is the demo file

Any ideas appreciated.

Also - I note that Vray does not recognise and render paths properly… Easy to work around but weird.

regards

Rod

Hi Rod,
I regret to say there is no way to automatically detect the collision between the Plant and the wall, and adapt the 3D plant representation to avoid this collision. In that particular case, you could explode the Plant, trim the meshes that are located across the wall, make a new block with the resulting meshes, and tag it as a plant, selecting the previous species. You have the Tag as a Plant option in the Edit Panel.

Thanks Francesc

Much as I expected! I appreciate your reply.

regards

Rod