Is there a simple way to make a button print a complete set of pages to two printers (one paper, the other PDF)?

My boss’ now want me to create a PDF file every time I spit out a paper version of whatever I’m working on. I expected to find it in my review of the forum, but no. I believe it would be a snap to script if I was more smarter,… but I don’t have that knowledge.

If anyone would be kind enough to share the command line input to ignite either output, I think I can use it as a starter kit to figure out the rest.

Please and Thanks-
OB

Hello - hmm - I don’t know if a macro will work the -Print command, with a dash in front, is probably what you need, but it may take some fooling around with a macro.

something like this

! _-Print _Setup _Destination _Printer
"HP LaserJet 400 MFP M425dn UPD PS"
Enter Enter Go 
-Print _Setup _Destination 
_Printer "Rhino PDF"
Enter Enter Go

-Pascal

Thank you Pascal!
I was excited until I toyed with it for two hours to no success. I even decided it’d be easier to create a button for each type of output. As my luck is want to do: even the code you provided is not doing it’s portion of the job. It has not once output to a PDF - even tho the default printer is “Rhino PDF.”

I have tried changing the quotes, the text, the order, and failed. It’s just occurring to me to focus on getting it to change to the “Ricoh” printer. That is a small bite I can chew on.

The other bit that has occurred to me tho - is how to tell it to print all the layouts. Help with that will earn double airline miles.

Cheers-
Bruce

PrintPDF

Well - I can get the displayed name for the printer to switch easily - but no matter what the “Destination” printer says it is - it poops out of the Ricoh. It’s never come up to ask for a file name and location like a PDF should.

Hm - I think that did the right things here, but I confess is was a bit fiddly trying to get the right commands in there - make sure your printer name is inside “double quotes” and is spelled out as it appears in the dropdown of the Print command…

-Pascal

I’m not saying you did anything wrong! I’m just saying it sucks to be me!

I tried specifying a printer name it surely didn’t know & it ignored it. Is there a way to have it divulge a list of printer names that it does know?

DeleteMe

Hello - can you try this and then run CommandHistory (F2 key) and paste the same part of the history here so I can see the full lines?

thanks,

-Pascal

here is one better - a JING.

When I was having stability issues I set it to autosave before every ‘Print’ - so you’ll see that here

And here is the history:

Unknown command: Salamander {I previously entered this so I could easily find my place}
Command: _print
Autosaving file as C:\Users\bmosher\Dropbox (Railing Systems Hawa)\Railing Systems Hawaii Team Folder\Bruces crap\Rhino Autosave\18-193 Trommer Vehicle Gate Rev D (264598) RhinoAutosave.3dm
Autosave succeeded
Command: _-Print
Autosaving file as C:\Users\bmosher\Dropbox (Railing Systems Hawa)\Railing Systems Hawaii Team Folder\Bruces crap\Rhino Autosave\18-193 Trommer Vehicle Gate Rev D (264598) RhinoAutosave.3dm
Autosave succeeded
Print ( Go Setup Preview ): _Setup
Setup ( Destination View Margins ObjectSizes Visibility ): _Destination
Destination ( Printer PageSize OutputType=Raster OutputColor=DisplayColor CalibrateXScale=1 CalibrateYScale=1 ): _Printer
Printer Name: “Rhino PDF”
Destination ( Printer PageSize OutputType=Raster OutputColor=DisplayColor CalibrateXScale=1 CalibrateYScale=1 ): Enter
Destination ( Printer PageSize OutputType=Raster OutputColor=DisplayColor CalibrateXScale=1 CalibrateYScale=1 )
Setup ( Destination View Margins ObjectSizes Visibility ): Enter
Setup ( Destination View Margins ObjectSizes Visibility )
Print ( Go Setup Preview ): Go
Command: -Print
Autosave succeeded
Print ( Go Setup Preview ): _Setup
Setup ( Destination View Margins ObjectSizes Visibility ): _Destination
Destination ( Printer PageSize OutputType=Raster OutputColor=DisplayColor CalibrateXScale=1 CalibrateYScale=1 ): _Printer
Printer Name: “RSH Ricoh”
Destination ( Printer PageSize OutputType=Raster OutputColor=DisplayColor CalibrateXScale=1 CalibrateYScale=1 ): Enter
Destination ( Printer PageSize OutputType=Raster OutputColor=DisplayColor CalibrateXScale=1 CalibrateYScale=1 )
Setup ( Destination View Margins ObjectSizes Visibility ): Enter
Setup ( Destination View Margins ObjectSizes Visibility )

@bmosher - it looks like it might be more reilable with a Preview in there

here it is switching between pdf drivers, not a paper printer- maybe that takes away the level of automation you need - here the printer is set correctly for each print.

! _-Print _Setup _Destination _Printer
"CutePDF Writer"
Enter Enter Preview Enter 
-Print _Setup _Destination 
_Printer "Rhino PDF" 
Enter Enter Preview

-Pascal

I’m feeling bad Pascal - am I OK to be taking your time for this?

If so,… your last code does not do anything on my machine. It runs,… but does not leave anything in either printer queue (no matter how many time I hit the button)…

If I don’t get stuff handed to me tomorrow, I’ll spend time trying one command at a time to see if I can find the path.

One thing I’ll ask tho, is when this is beaten into submission, how do I tell it to print all sheets?

Many thanks-
OB