Is it possible to assign <TAB> key to 3Dconnextion buttons

Is there a way to assign the key to one of the 3Dconnexion Buttons in the rhino options? As in the attached jpg, so when I press ‘Button 1’ on my space mouse that it is recognized by Rhino as pressing the tab key.
I used to do this in the 3Dconnexion software, but the model I have is 10+ years old and is no longer being supported by 3Dconnexion - But thanks to the McNeel team I can still use my favorite space mouse without needing drivers from 3Dconnexion.

Thanks,
John

@pascal do you know if there is a way to accomplish this?

Thanks,
John

Hi John - I don’t know but my thought would be to make an alias in Rhino - then assign that alias to the button, if that is a thing, which I do not know…

-Pascal

Thanks for the quick response Pascal. That would work, if there is a way to make an alias that I could assign for the Tab key, like you can for the other letter keys. But I don’t know of a way to represent a Tab key press in an alias. Or maybe there is another way to make an alias for the direction lock function of the tab key while moving, drawing, etc… which is the functionality I am after. But I don’t think there is a rhino command for that.

the functionality I am after is the direction lock behavior of pressing tab. I use it all the time and it’s much faster for me if I don’t have to take my hand away from my space mouse. In the past, (before I updated to windows 10) I had 3d connexion drivers that would allow me to assign Tab as one of the buttons. Unfortunately, my space mouse is not supported by 3D connexion in windows 10

If you have any other ideas, please let me know.
Last resort, I’ll buy a new Space mouse.

Thanks,
John

Hi John - ah, so the idea is you want to toggle SubD boxy/smooth, perhaps? or is this for the direction lock? For Boxy/Smooth there is a command -

SubDDisplayToggle

but for the direction lock use of Tab there is not, I think, a macro way.

Am I at least looking at the right problem?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,
Yes I am after the direction lock use of Tab.

John

Have you tried to leave it blank in Rhino Pref, and assign the Tab key in the 3Dconnexion pref as a keystroke…?
[don’t know if it works as I have only the simple 2 buttons device]
Akash

Hi Akash,
3dConnexion preferences don’t work anymore because I am using an older 3Dconnexion SpacePilot, which 3Dconnexion has made obsolete by not making the drivers needed for Windows 10. I’m guessing this is a planned obsolescence that forces consumers to upgrade. Thankfully the McNeel team has made it so that it is supported directly within Rhino - not requiring the 3Dconnexion drivers.

John

1 Like