Is a text box possible?

HI,

Does anyone know if its possible to make a text box that constrains the area in which text goes and auto returns when it reaches the limits of the box? hope this makes sense.

This would be super useful if possible. Currently the text just keeps going off the layout page.

Many thanks,

john.

V5 or V6?

Hi John,

V6

Thanks,

John

Hi John - if you turn on control points for a block of text, you can noodle with the width and the thing should reformat itself to suit the new size.

Does that help?

-Pascal

1 Like

Hi Pascal,

Many thanks. Yes, that helps. The dream would be if I could define that box in a layout before filling it if that makes senseā€¦

Something for the future perhaps?

J

Hi John - added to the heap - thanks.

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-49909

-Pascal

Fantastic,

Thanks Pascal.

John

@john11 - can you tell me , is there anything that youā€™d be able to do that you cannot do now, with the proposed text box? The thing is such a tool as an option on Text would make for a messy workflow so chances are it would be a new command if implemented - in writing that up for the devs and decision makers, it would be helpful to be able to point to a solid need or advantageā€¦and as I think about it, it seems like you can get what you need currently - what would be the advantage of setting up the box ahead of time? And what happens to overflow?

thanks,

-Pascal

When you manually insert text, then all is fine as it is now.
When you use text fields, however, it can become very tedious catching overflow after the boxes have been populated. This will be the case in many fields in a ā€œTitle Blockā€, for instance.

References:
https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/title-block-with-text-fields/
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-43510

(and then there is still the bug where, when shrinking a text box (or leader) with text fields, the displayed text is the %text field% instead of the text - RH-43510 and RH-44247)

(CC: @stevebaer because of RH-48063 )

At any rate, itā€™s rather important to be able to define a text region before it gets populated.

Hi Pascal,

As Wim says, for us its about the title blocks. when youā€™re producing a load of layout tabs with title blocks in each ones, it would be a boon to our workflow to be able to insert pre-formatted text boxes into the title blocks in the template file.

Wim says it much more clearly than me!

Thanks,

John.

hi Nateliv,

This sounds intriguing!

Where is the option to click on ā€œstandard frameā€? When you mention Print Music 2007, Iā€™m completely lost!

John.

@john11,

Donā€™t worry about that answerā€¦
Apparently that was a respons to a completely unrelated question in a ā€œMakeMusicā€ forum in 2016.
The same user posted another copy of some unrelated question on DIVA and Iā€™ve now deleted the user.

Ah. I thought there might be something random afoot.

Thanks Wim.

@john11, @wim - thanks, gentlemen - thatā€™s just whatā€™s needed.

-Pascal

Many thanks Pascal,

John.

John Hannah ā€“ Director

Powell Picano LTD

Unit 5 Millmead Industrial Centre

Millmead Rd, London N17 9QU

Office : 0203 759 6922

Mobile : 07968 683 075

john@powellpicano.co.uk

www.powellpicano.co.uk

So, @john11 - do text fields come into it in your workflow or is this all just strightforward text with no ā€˜fXā€™ ?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

Sorry, Iā€™m not sure exactly what you mean, but for our title block it would be great to just be able to click in the pre set text box and start typing. Perhaps when creating the box I could specify font, text size and margin left, right or centre.

Does that help?

Many thanks,

John

Hi John - thanks - the concept of text fields came up as possibly related to this (the thing in Text where you can have the text reflect some file or object property by asking for ā€˜fXā€™, this thing:

but it sounds like that is not part of what you need, which greatly simplifies thingsā€¦

-Pascal

Aha,

Thanks for clarifying. No, we donā€™t need the fx functionality.

John