Iris: WebGL Export Plugin for Rhino

There is now a Plug Ins > Iris category. Let’s break up the discussions into specific topics moving forward.

Thanks!

Luis,
Can you send me a link to the Mac version?
Thanks,
B

Hi Bas

Scroll to the bottom:

http://www.food4rhino.com/project/iris?etx

Hi Willem,

I’ve looked through all the posts and did nit find a link for the mac (beta) version.
Only Luis’ offer to mail him about it.
Will send him a note to luis@mcneel.com unless there’s anything published you can point me to?!
Thnx
B

Did you follow that link?

In the table on the bottom on the page you can download

Iris 0.3.4 for Rhino 5.1/WIP OSX 2015-Sep-30

I assume that is the latest wip/beta

Hi Luis,

The is the best version so far, Great work! No incomplete load in the browser.

Is the Background shading going to get some adjustment? I am not having any luck with importing lights. What about have a choice of 3 lighting settings. I need to light underneath a part as well as from above.

Thanks,

Dave

1 Like

Dave,
Which kind of lights are you trying?
Lighting has eluded me as you can tell. It can and will get better, but in the meantime placing your own lights should work. Are you not seeing your lights in the export?

Hi Luis,

I would like to use Point Lights, they are not exporting. Are Point light supported?

They are supported, but something is definitely up. Let me see if I can track it down. Bug filed IP-41.

Yeah, pretty simple, but concerning. The document has several tables, including the ObjectTable, and the objects you get from it might change based on how you access it. By default, lights are not included, and at some point I changed the way I went through the objects and therefore lost the lights. I’ll release this fix along with the upcoming 0.3.5 update.

Just attempted to install Iris 3.4 after downloading it from food4rhino. I’m getting the “this package is not compatible with the rhino installer engine” error message. I’m on the latest SP of 5.0 x64. I tried repairing my installation in control panel and I’m still getting the same error message. Any ideas on what the issue could be?

I am not sure what it could be. I will do my best to release the changes I’ve made since the 0.3.4 version tomorrow, and we can see if anything changes with the installer package and the ability for it to install on your machine.

EDIT: After checking, it seems the Rhino version was not the most recent. Because Iris is a Work In Progress, I’m only supporting the latest service release of Rhino and Rhino WIP for Windows and OSX.

Hi,

I really like this plugin!! Works really natural.
Two questions.

• In one of the first posts @wim mention this allready, clip the model with sliders. That would be awesom:
    clippingplanes.pdf (58.2 KB)
  • For large models, when you “fly” through the model, it would be nice to reset the camera point. Like a 3d mouse. So a user won’t “run out off” the posibility to zoom

-Thomas

1 Like

Hey @thomas84!
Thanks for the suggestions. The Clipping Planes functionality you mention should be on my list of wishes, but I had not added it! Now I’ve added it: IP-44

Hello All,
I’ve just updated the releases of Iris for the 0.3.5 version. Please take a look at the release notes for bugfixes and features added. Also, you can use this link to see the upcoming developments. If there is something you’d like to see on the list, let me know.

Most notable in this release is the support for exporting Blocks from Rhino. Due to how this was coded before, it would just be better to explode the blocks. Now, you need not explode the blocks, and they export fine. Also, in the webapp, blocks are selectable. They will select as a group. I’ve also added a bit more default lighting to make things look even better.

Try it out and let me know what you think. If you have cool models, please share them in the gallery.

Hello All,
There is an updated version if Iris available. Please check out the release notes to see what has changed.

Most notable changes in this version are modifications on how the camera is treated during zoom operations and changing named views. Before this would give strange results, and eventually, you’d see some strange mesh artifacts. This should work pretty well now. Additionally, you can now export your Rhino model so that layers which are turned off will also export. You can access this functionality via _SaveAs (and select Iris Web Archive) on Rhino Windows versions or _ExportAll on Rhino OSX Versions.

Take it for a spin and let me know how it goes.

1 Like

Thanks, this is just for future and since I have been in web code land, not Rhino so much, for the last month, I have a few questions about using WebGL / Iris. I am more familiar with HTML+CSS than JavaScript, though I did get a book on Three.js last week (Not opened yet, lol)

What I am wondering at this point is it possible to use separate rhino files in one “scene” and maybe change one for another one. Context, I do jewellery and say I want to show 2 rings side by side, but I don’t like one of the rings, could I select change one ring for another model and see those 2 together?

This is just for distant future, 6 months at least before I could look at this full-time.

Thanks, just curious. … Randy

Hello!
With 0.3.6 you can use _SaveAs (Rhino Windows) or _ExportAll (Rhino Mac) to save all of the objects in the file, regardless if they are on a layer which is off. In your case you could have all of the Rings in one file on different layers. If you do not want the rings to show up by default, turn off their layer prior to exporting. On the web, Iris will open with the layers in the same state as in Rhino. You can then turn layers on and off as you wish.

Would this be a solution for your situation, or is this not sufficient? I suppose I could consider supporting the opening of various models.

Yes, I was just playing with that.

Well, the company I design / work for is an interchangeable jewellery system , http://www.kameleonjewelry.com . Our rings, pendants, bracelets & earrings all have a place to add a component. We have around 500 of these componets. So I don’t think having them all in one file would work.

I am sort of thinking out loud. This may end up being more for a phone or tablet App as opposed to a webApp.

I am just playing for now. I am on a rush micro project for the next month or 2, after that I will spend more time with Iris.

I really appreciate all your work. Thanks!

It might be an issue of organization. With 500 components, maybe it might not be practical to use Iris directly, but perhaps you can use the exporter to save the data as json. You can make a native from HTML5/JS to iOS or Android app with Apache Cordova. I’ve turned some Iris models into Android apps using Cordova and it works pretty well.