Invisible/greyed out imported dwg file

Hi. I have been having an issue with importing a CAD file onto my Rhino. the file gets imported but other than a few lines or points, it is not visible.I am able to see objects selected when i use SelAll. when i move the few points and lines that are visible, it shows the rest of the drawing in grey(refer image below) but immediately disappears as soon as im done moving the few visible objects. this dwg however does import fine into another existing model space but as soon as i copy+paste it onto a new workspace, the problem occurs again. i am trying to move it to a new workspace because the file on which it works is already too heavy and slow

Image :

i ran systeminfo as well just in case that would help:
Rhino 6 SR13 2019-2-27 (Rhino 6, 6.13.19058.371, Git hash:master @ 17cd8b51accbe17dd04b48028f49d5e77a67f17b)
License type: Commercial, build 2019-02-27
License details: Stand-Alone

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 12Gb)
Machine name: LAPTOP-GF1SB8NV

Hybrid graphics system.
Primary display: Intel(R) HD Graphics 630 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 6-20-2018 (M-D-Y).
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 (NVidia) Memory: 4GB, Driver date: 7-13-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 451.77

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 7-13-2020
Driver Version: 27.21.14.5177
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.13.19058.371
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.13.19058.371
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\import_ACAD.rhp “AutoCAD file import: import_ACAD”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.13.19058.371
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Grasshopper\GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” 6.13.19058.371
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.13.19058.371
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

PS; i do get a proxy objects dialog box for this drawing on AutoCAD but idk if that is something that affects this.
thankyou.

Hi -

That sounds like a display issue.

It probably won’t hurt to update the drivers of your GPUs.

Rhino 6 has been at SR 35 for a long time now, you might as well get the current version…
-wim

the location of the object is very far away from the origin, this is the common issue with large drawings created in autocad. It is faced in 3d programs . you can group it and then move to 0,0 and then copy to another file, maybe that can help you.

hi thank you. the problem was actually in the display options i had changed while viewing in a particular mode and it was in that viewing mode. i restored display option settings to default and it worked fine!

it was an issue of display settings that i had forgotten id changed. restored them to default and it worked perfectly fine!

1 Like