Invert & Hide Extremely Slow After Last Update

Good to hear!
I can try that tomorrow too.

Hi guys, a small update:

on my system this is still slow on complex files. I blocked Vray now and installed latest SR rc but still slow. (I sent a PDF to John that represents a typical slow file to work with)

I was curious to see if it could be some panel update stuff going on (as this slows Rhino down on other tasks) so I made a simple script to see if good old rs.EnableRedraw(True) could override this and it does, so can you guys with slow Hide test this out:

import rhinoscriptsyntax as rs

objs=rs.GetObjects("objects to hide", preselect=True)

if objs:
    rs.EnableRedraw(False)
    rs.HideObjects(objs)
    rs.EnableRedraw(True)
1 Like

Latest two Rhino 8 WIP updates had this same issue going on with 3D models that also contain large imported PDF line drawings full of 40K curves. Normally workable. Suddenly just locked up with Invert, Hide, or Isolate.

My now obscure low profile NVIDEA Quadro K620 card that was the only good card that fit my waterjet machine box lacked any driver update now going on years but suddenly thereā€™s a new month old 2022 update for my card listed at their drivers page. The update caused two instances of Rhino to crash but with freshly started Rhino, the problem is still there, it just freezes with an Isolate command as long as my large line drawings are visible (their layer not hidden).

Iā€™ve extensively tried exporting generic curves and 3D models to re-import into a fresh document and this doesnā€™t fix the behavior either.

I disabled most of the Rhino plugins I donā€™t actually use, including rendering and most import/exports.

Delete is also extremely slow, so itā€™s hard to create a smaller sample file. Instead I have to select and export smaller parts of the model.

This has destroyed my ability to use Rhino at my job. Itā€™s new to the last two or so WIP versions and itā€™s a sudden abrupt change in behavior. I got it down from 60MB to only 2MB as a file. If I select 3D geometry and isolate it, it takes 45 seconds in this little sample with 3000 curves in the drawing and only a few 3D solids.

Itā€™s been several weeks since Iā€™ve applied any Windows 10 updates, so itā€™s definitely Rhino updates causing it to fight with my graphics card.

Actually, running the above Python script to hide all but one 3D solid does not quicken the process, so itā€™s not likely the same display issue as 3 years ago.

It affects other files too, with much simpler imported PDF drawings. Iā€™ll have to downgrade back to Rhino 7 I guess, as an emergency kludge. I just downgraded to 8.0.22137.08305 from my McNeel downloads cache and the problem remains!

When I start Rhino in /safemode and try to open my sample file, it cycles over and over warning about being requested to load the Constraints plug-in that indeed I recently installed independent of Rhino. Even in safemode though, after confirming again and again constraints loading, itā€™s still very slow to isolate an object. Disabling Constraints and restarting normal Rhino, no help, still slow.

Ah, I still have Rhino 7 already installed (7.1.20322.15001, 11/17/2020), and itā€™s perfectly fast to isolate an object. I had to downgrade way back to V7 indeed, to restore the normal behavior I enjoyed in all but the last couple WIP updates.

Megaframe Bug Isolation V2.3dm (1.9 MB)