Instructional Course for Advanced Grasshopper Users and Developers
Tutor: Long Nguyen (ICD Stuttgart)
Date: February 18-21, 2019
Time: 9.30am - 5.30pm with a break for lunch, provided by Simply Rhino
Venue: Simply Rhino, London
About the course
This 4-day workshop will introduce the essentials of scripting and the creation of custom plugins for Grasshopper using the C# language.
C# provides high-performance interaction within the Rhino/Grasshopper modeling environment. This lets you extend the capabilities of Rhino and Grasshopper–from automating repetitive tasks, developing customized workflows, to implementing advanced generative design algorithm and interacting with other software tools.
Who should attend?
The workshop is meant for intermediate to advanced Grasshopper users who want to customize, extend and push the existing boundary of the Grasshopper platform.
Some familiarity with scripting/programming and the RhinoCommon API is helpful but not essential for attending, as they will be introduced during the workshop.
- Introduction to C# language
- Object-oriented programming
- The .NET framework
- C# Script components in Grasshopper
- RhinoCommon API, the library that allows us to programmatically interact with Rhino
- Basic RhinoCommon geometries: point3D, Vector3D, Plane, Line, Curve, Surfaces, etc.
- Introduction to Visual Studio, an integrated environment for software development
- Creation of plugins for Grasshopper using Visual Studio and the Grasshopper API
- More advanced topics in object-oriented programming
- Meshes, Surfaces, Breps, etc.
Day 3 and 4
- Personal project development
- (Optional discussion of topics requested by the participants)