Intersect closing mechanism with mesh

Hello! I am new in Rhino and I have been working on a project
I am trying to make a hand orthosis but I am having problems with the closing mechanism
I am trying to do something like this

I made a polysurface (Gray object), and then transformed it in a mesh so I can join it with the parts of the orthosis (Blue and black) My problem is that I need to have a half of the closing mechanism in the left part of the orthosis and the other one in the right one but I can’t manage to split it with the orthosis curve

Does anyone have an idea of how can I do it?
I would be very thankful if someone could help me, I don’t know what else to do

this is the file that I am working on
orthosis.3dm (3.2 MB)

Thank you

Hmm, Rhino doesn’t handle this well, but you can get it to work. I’m not sure this is what you are looking for, but if it isn’t, the steps would be similar. I started by setting a CPlane to the face of the closing mechanism, then extruded the edge of the polysurface up (I tried SplitMeshWithCurve, but it didn’t go well), then mesh the result. I then used MeshSplit to break apart the closure, which didn’t split cleanly, so using SplitDisjointedMesh on it, as well as a few cases of ExtractMeshFace, I got it into pieces, then joined the result into two pieces. Finally an unweld at 0 and a reweld to smooth the normals.

orthosis_SP.3dm (3.6 MB)

Sam

1 Like

Yes! that is what I was looking for!
Thank you so much! I am going to work on it
:hugs::hugs:

Okay, I extruded it but now I have two different pieces

I can’t join them :confused: Is that what I should be doing?