Intermittent compatibility issues

Here is what I know of:

1. I have an object properties page. In the parent class for Rhino.UI.ObjectPropertiesPage, there is a virtual (I think) item called PageControl. In V5, it returns a ‘Control’ object. In v6, it returns ‘object’.

2. In Rhino.UI.OptionsDialogPage, the same issue occurs. PageControl outputs ‘Control’ in V5, and ‘object’ in v6.

Arthur

I beieve @JohnM was working on a fix for this. John has this been fixed in the current V6?

I think this is the bug track item associated with this problem and it looks like it was added to 6.x on 14 June 2018. I think that means it should be in the current 6.7 release candidate.

Ok! Does that mean that the Pachyderm version I compile from Rhinocommon V5 should run in V6 when service release 7 is deployed? If so, when will that be? (I have a client who really wants to use it in V6, which is sort of awesome, so I’d rather not disappoint them…)

Thanks for your help!

Arthur

I looked at the schedule and SR7 RC 4 is scheduled for 17 July so I think the public release will be the week after that. You should be able to test this in the current Rhino 6.0 SR7 release candidate.

The release candidate for SR7 is available today so you should be able to test this out.

As John pointed out, the official SR7 will be at the end of the month

Ugh… I installed the SR7 release candidate. Now Rhino 6 won’t start:

Arthur

Rerun the installer and choose repair. This appears to be a problem isolated to the latest SR7 and the installer

Hi Steve,

The link said to use the installation stream in Rhino (so that’s what I did). I’m not sure if Rhino stores an installer on the hard drive, or where that would be. Do you have a link to the installer for download?

Arthur

You should be able to access the installer by going to “Add or Remove Programs” in windows and choosing modify for your Rhino 6 installation

Ahh! Got it!

Testing C:\Users\Arthu\Desktop\DEV\PachydermAcoustic_Rhinoceros\bin\Debug\Pachyderm_Acoustic.rhp (and 9 other assemblies) for compatibility…
/|||/|||/-/||-/–|\/----|\||/–|-|/||-/|||\/-|/
Compatibility test succeeded in 10.68s

Thanks very much!

Arthur

1 Like

Thanks all, for the help from before on this topic. There is another issue, it seems. If you drag my Rhino 5 plugin to Rhino 6, it works. However, I have a VS deployment installer, and it adds the registry entries for my plugin for both Rhino 5 and Rhino 6. That part seems to work correctly, as the first time running Rhino 6 after installing, the plugin will try to load, but it ends with this:

When you click the ‘details’ button, it says that the plugin failed to initialize, but you can still drag the plugin from its installation folder to Rhino 6, and it loads fine after compatibility checks.

Is there something I can do to fix this, or is this in your court?

Arthur

Hey @Arthur, can you send us a copy of your installer?

Here you go:

Pachyderm_Setup.zip (2.6 MB)

The plug-in loaded fine for me in Rhino 5 SR14 (64-bit) and Rhino 6 SR7 (6.7.18210.11281).

What version of Rhino 6 are you running?

Version 6.8, I think. I updated yesterday or the day before. I am allowing early release updates.

Arthur

Do you have the build number? (The SystemInfo command is the easiest way to find this.)

Output of SystemInfo:

Rhino 6 SR8 2018-8-7 (Rhino 6, 6.8.18219.371, Git hash:master @ d10c5684b9f4a36ea4dbb3f1b5acf4a7cf887763)

Thanks, Arthur. Unfortunately (fortunately?) I’m still unable to reproduce the behaviour that you’re seeing. Pachyderm loads just fine the first time when starting Rhino 6 (6.8.18219.371) after installing it. Verified on two machines running Windows 10.

Testing C:\Program Files\Pachyderm_Acoustic\Pachyderm_Acoustic.rhp (and 7 other assemblies) for compatibility...
-|\\/\-//\/--\-\
Compatibility test succeeded in 3.41s

Perhaps there’s something funny in the registry on your machine already. We could try cleaning it out. Can you try the following…

1. Open regedit.exe and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-Ins\25895777-97d3-4058-8753-503183d4bc01 (this is where the information about the currently installed version of your plug-in lives)
  2. Export this key (just in case we need to dig into it later) and then delete it. Alternatively just rename it.
  3. Uninstall “Pachyderm_Acoustic”
  4. Open Rhino 6 and confirm that the plug-in is uninstalled
  5. Re-install “Pachyderm_Acoustic”
  6. Open Rhino 6
  7. :crossed_fingers: