Interface editing limits?

Hi everybody,

I’ve been customizing colors, building and saving my owm toolbars, exporting options with those colors and docked windows I’ve chosen and so on…

Doing this I’ve been limited to edit some features of the graphic interface… It’s not a big problem but I’d like to know if is there a way to do it. I introduce those I’m refering to:

1. Is it possible to unlink the objects color into any layer? For example I want to assign red color to a layer but I want lines into this layer to be green and surface edges to be blue by default. Is this possible?

2. Is it possible to scale the line styles (dashed, hidden, etc) in order to get a concrete size for dashes and gaps?

3. Is there a way to use bold or italic characters into the layer manager?

4. Is the color of the flying tabs bar editable? I’m watching it always blue and it’s a bit anoying if you use a color combination different than the default.

5. Is it possible to change the default colors list? I don’t want that green or magenta anymore and I’m always clicking to other… big list… accept… and when I use another color the last one disappears and next time I have to go into the other colors list again… I know I can match object colors through the Properties window but it would be great to edit the default list of colors…

Thank you very much to everybody spending time into this thread, I hope it can be useful for you too :wink:

(Pascal Golay) #2

Hi Jordi [quote=“Jordi_Perez, post:1, topic:42387”]

1. Is it possible to unlink the objects color into any layer?
    [/quote]

You can set objects colors in Properties, but the default is always to make an object layer color until you override that. You could use macros or scripts to for example, select all curves, or all curves on some layers, and make them all green - is that the sort of thing you need?

You can - the line types are defined by 3d distances in units. In printing (or PrintDisplay) you get to specify paper distance or 3d distance as shown in the view…[quote=“Jordi_Perez, post:1, topic:42387”]
3. Is there a way to use bold or italic characters into the layer manager?
[/quote]

Nope…

The colors available are in Options > Appearance > Colors > Window color 1, Window color 2 etc. Not very descriptuve labels but changes you make are immediately visible in the UI so you can see what is what.[quote=“Jordi_Perez, post:1, topic:42387”]
5. Is it possible to change the default colors list?
[/quote]

You can - up to a point by editing
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\5.0\Localization\en-US\Support\colors.txt

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

Thank you very much for your complete answer, it’s been very useful and some of these points really mean a very satisfactory improvement into my work interface. Even though there are a couple of points that I would like to comment in order to clarify my doubts at all.

I mean to change (into a layer with a preset color) the default color that new lines (or edges, surfaces, points, etc.) adquire when created into this layer, being able to choose a different color than the layer one for a concrete kind of object. A sort of layer “subcolors” that would allow us to create (for example) red surfaces with blue edges, green lines and black points by default into a layer in spite of color it all the same and force us to change colors manually while we are creating or editing new geometry.

I think this color is not editable through the typical color options, I want to change the blue color of the bar that appears over the flying tabs (not the docked ones). Here you can see the blue bar I’m talking about:

That’s all! As I said before, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your invaluable help!!!