Installing shader nodes for Grasshopper / Raytraced (Cycles)

edit March 2024: GhShaderNodes is currently unmaintained.

Continuing the discussion from Cycles for Rhino and Help installing Cycles:

I have created a short-ish video explaining how the GhShaderNodes plug-in for Grasshopper is to be installed.

Find the latest GhShaderNodes download here: Releases · mcneel/GhShaderNodes · GitHub

Enjoy!

/Nathan

4 Likes

got this

You need to update to the latest Rhino WIP (published on the 10th of January).

/Nathan

1 Like

works well so far. i have issue with the "TestShowPrivetContent"
thnx
btw. ray-tracing is slow but WOW, what an upgrade to rhino

TestShowPrivateContent.

What kind of hardware do you use? A fairly modern NVidia GPU, or just CPU?

/Nathan

Nvidia Quadro K2200
(also i dont see the option to match color on the “input” component )

NVIDIA Corporation
Quadro K2200/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 376.33
Render version: 4.5
Shading Language: 4.50 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 12-11-2016
Driver Version: 21.21.13.7633

Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

This isn’t the strongest card with only 640 CUDA cores. For instance my GTX 760 has 1152 cores and my GTX 1060 has 1280 cores. I would think the card is still pretty responsive though.

Sorry, can you explain? I’m not sure what you mean.

/Nathan

1 Like

i dont have this option on the output component

1 Like

Did you add a Cycles XML material? Cycles XML materials will show up in the context menu for the Output node once added to the Rhino document. In the tutorial video I do this around the 1 minute mark.

1 Like

2 last questions

1. gh gemotry ( curve > pipe surface, for example ) can be rendered with cycles?

2. live update isnt working. as u can see at the image, the material is linked to the colorpicker however the object is still white.

:slight_smile:

Currently you’ll have to bake that.

Not sure why it isn’t working, maybe force recalculation of the solution (F5 in Grasshopper). Also ensure that the material is actually assigned to the object.

Cheers Nathan. I think I tried to install the source code from git here. will test this in the morning. ps have you tested this with sketchfab export?
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 12:42 PM

To: noamyork@dr.com

Subject: [McNeel Forum] [Serengeti/Rendering WIP] Installing shader nodes for Grasshopper / Raytraced (Cycles) nathanletworyMcNeel

January 17

Continuing the discussion from Cycles for Rhino and Help installing Cycles:

I have created a short-ish video explaining how the GhShaderNodes plug-in for Grasshopper is to be installed.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/jJPnDIbQNxM

Enjoy!

/Nathan

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

as u can see i was trying to find how to assign the mat in gh.
works now
(really need to boost the CUDA on my card) :slight_smile:

Correct repository, but better to click the releases tab and get the precompiled plug-in :slight_smile:

No, and I won’t be trying either, the shaders are specific to Cycles. I’d rather have a stab at doing export for p3d.in :wink: (I was part of the team that creates this…)

I see, there is no way to do that at the moment :slight_smile:

1 Like

:laughing:

getting slowly very curious about Cycles, anything on the mac horizon yet @nathanletwory? also is there any full description of it? i grassed a bit through but only found some videos and scattered info.

Yes, but since the distance to it is relatively long it is but a dot. It requires the so-called RDK (Render Development Kit), used to integrate Render engines seamlessly, to be fully ported. And in the case of Raytraced it means also the RhinoCommon wrapping of it. Cycles itself should build on the Mac (it is the render engine of the software package Blender 3D, it is a cross-platform tool), but I have not made any attempts to build the code I wrote there, as the RDK isn’t done yet for it.

Do you want to know more about Cycles? Or the integration of it in Rhino WIP?

/Nathan

i can remember you told me recently about it that you work there too. somewhere in the thread Nurbs vs Monitor which i still have to get back to as soon as i have blazed myself with tons of knowledge and have understood it which might still take a bit.

wrapping means to link something in which is basically unsupported natively?

yup both actually, i have been on their page once but forgot about it, but also about the implementation in rhino.
i saw in a video that its going to support the rhino render so somehow an amendment or a replacement? would that mean in future whenever it happens also for mac, that we could do renders in rhino itself without any other software needed?

You can do that now in Rhino 5…

Wrapping for RhinoCommon means that the core RDK is written in C++. RhinoCommon is for the .NET environment, in which I am conducting the integration of the Cycles render engine. Wrapping means letting the C++ (unmanaged) world talk with the .NET (managed) world.

For Cycles itself I suggest browsing through the Cycles web-site. The Gallery should give some indication of what is possible with Cycles. Essentially it is a modern raytracer that can utilize GPUs should they be available.

Regarding the integration into Rhino WIP…

Add at least, who knows about replacing. It is at least as the separate Raytraced mode :slight_smile: In theory it means one should get good images without having to go to external plug-ins. But if you really want advanced stuff you still can use the external render engines, they are great engines, so you should use them when necessary.

The integration is supposed to be so good that users don’t have to know much about rendering to get those good images out. So you’ll find there aren’t many (any) controls to fiddle around with Cycles internal settings. The Rhino basic materials all should come out great, without mucking about in shader graphs (like one can do with these GhShaderNodes). So we try for Fire And Forget :slight_smile: