Installation & assoc problem

Problem is that I’m not able to associate dwg and dxf files with Rhino 5. Rhino will not show up for possible contenders for these file types. I have uninstalled and reinstalled both x86 and 64 bit versions several times but that does not help. However, checking assoc listing using command line reveals that both file extensions are associated with:

.DWG=Rhino5x64.Document
.dxf=Rhino5x64.Document

The 64 bit version keeps installing in the old beta folder: <Rhinoceros 5.0 Beta (64-bit)> and I wonder if the whole problem is caused by this. Anyway, I certainly would like to change the path too but the installation program does not asks where to install. I have deleted the folder between installations and tried to do other cleaning as well. Plese save my day. Thanks.

Regards
Apu

The Rhino installer does not associate DWG/DXF as native file types like it does with 3DM and 3DMBAK file. If it did, it would “break” the Windows file association for our users that have AutoCAD installed.

You can manually associate any file type with an application, but the Rhino installer will not do it.

Let’s take a step back.
What problem are you trying to solve?

Yes, sorry about the poor explanation. My problem is what I say in the first sentence, “I’m not able to associate dwg and dxf files with Rhino 5.” I want these file types to launch Rhino instead.of Solidworks DWG editor. I have tried to change this manually the usual way from the right click menu: “Open with / Choose default program” but after selecting Rhino from “Browse” Rhino does not even show up as an option. Trying to change the association from command line with assoc does not help either but then the listing of current associations with assoc shows that the file types are already associated with Rhino but still Solidworks DWG editor is launched:

.DWG=Rhino5x64.Document
.dxf=Rhino5x64.Document

The second problem is the folder Rhino x64 installs itself, I would like to change the folder to something else than the current: “Rhinoceros 5.0 Beta (64-bit)”. I have a commercial license, and it is of the latest version.

Thanks

Apu

If after completely uninstalling everything, and the latest downloaded SR12 from the website does not install to the correct directory, then there is something seriously wrong - which probably only a call to tech support is going to solve…

Here is a page with some things that might help you clean out your installation, such as which folders and registry keys to delete…

–Mitch

After stopping the Rhino update service and uninstalling everything Rhino related I finally managed to get Rhino 64-bit to install in the folder /Program files/Rhinoceros 5.0 (64-bit) by using the original installation CD. Then after that I was then able to associate dwg files with Rhino but only with the 64-bit version. I would need to associate the files with the 32-bit version as the CAM stuff uses the 32-bit version, however the 32-bit version still can’t be selected as an option. Any idea what to try next?

Thanks,
Apu

What is the file path to your 32-bit installation of Rhino.exe?

Do you have Rhino 4 installed? Rhino V4 and V5/32 unfortunately have the same executable name - Rhino4.exe - so the system can get confused. The dxf/dwg association was also an issue at the beginning of Rhino 5 with early versions, so if oyu installed form the CD, make sure you have both 32 and 64 bit versions of V5 updated to the latest (SR12).

–Mitch

I was able to sort this out. It’s all because of the beta / WIP versions not cleaning themselves up properly when uninstalled, false values are left in the Registry. What is needed is to launch regedit and change WIP and/or Beta version paths to point to the current versions, in my case I fixed

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Rhino4.exe\shell\open\command

to point to: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Rhinoceros 5.0\System\Rhino4.exe” “%1” This value had the non-existing WIP path.

Then add New string values to

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Rhino4.exe\SupportedTypes

in my case I added .dxf and .dwg (note the dots). After that when right clicked the said type Rhino4 will show up in the list of possible programs.

Apu