Inflation within Boundary

Hi Everyone,

Could someone please help me figure out the smoothing and pressure for an inflation within a boundary? I would like to increase the fidelity of the final form of my script.

I have been trying to make a shape that approximates a room if it was made of plastic (recycled) formed through rotational moulding. With some help from a classmate and another forum (https://www.grasshopper3d.com/forum/topics/inflate-multiple-balloon…) I have been able to come up with this script (see attached).

We could get the mesh to inflate within a boundary but it smooths out a lot of the detail (I would like to experiment with ridges, indents, etc. on the wall. You can see this on one of the faces of the input brep). The input brep is of a bathtub and the surrounding surfaces. I would like the inflated final form to wrap the tub edge too.

Does anyone have any suggestions how I can get tighter forms? I originally was using the drape function in rhino from a few angles and then intersecting and smoothing. But I am trying to parametric my work flow so I can iterate more.

PS In the files the brep is scaled down and up because I thought that might help… I’d like to avoid this step if I can better understand the smoothing, etc.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Inflate within boundary.gh (48.9 KB) Inlfating test.3dm (2.3 MB)

I think you need to increase the number of faces in the mesh (sphere?). I think it’s not giving you anymore detail because the size of each face is larger than the detail you’re trying to ‘capture’. It’s like trying to map the shape of a window in a wall using a big piece of plywood. You need to give the plywood more places to ‘bend’ (make it more like paper). I hope that analogy made sense.

Edit: You might also try increasing the pressure and/or reducing the strength of the edge lengths.