Inflating bubbles with bulges

inflate_changes.gh (21.5 KB)

A few small improvements I’d suggest here-

If you want the seams to act like tighter cables in the surface, causing creases, you can do this more simply by getting these edges from the ‘C’ output of the remeshing and assign them different Length goals.

‘Volume’ is often a bit easier to work with than ‘Pressure’. The reason being that pressure maintains the same force per unit area, and when the membrane resistance is low, this can lead to a runaway effect where the shape expands, so the area increases, meaning more force, so greater expansion etc. and it explodes.
‘Volume’ instead makes the pressure dependent on the contained volume, avoiding this runaway effect.

I also added a ‘SphereCollide’ to stop the mesh passing through itself when it expands a large amount. It isn’t always needed, so you can sometimes disable this part to speed things up. For some of the shapes in your original image, the different ‘bulbs’ of the shape look like they are pressing against each other, and for these the self-collision will come in handy.

This also reminds me of Andrew Kudless’s work - see some previous discussion on this here

1 Like