Inflated File Size Issue

I’m starting to experience two issues that may or may not be related. I put the second in another thread, but history updates take 100x longer on my machine than an employee’s (my machine writes dozens and dozens of Creating meshes... Press Esc to cancel to the command line).

My first issue is that file sizes are inflating rapidly.

The inflated file size is occurring in a number of files, but this is a rather extreme example. Doing an Audit3dm I see that the big difference is in the embedded image table:

InflatedFileSizeAudit.txt (10.7 KB)
InflatedFileSizeSavedSmallAudit.txt (8.7 KB)

I ran ExportBitmaps and found two images that were duplicated 279 times:

Other inflated files seem to have the same embedded pictures, but with different quantities:

Any idea where this could be coming from?

Here’s my sysinfo:

Rhino 7 SR23 2022-10-2 (Rhino 7, 7.23.22275.09001, Git hash:master @ 97d9fb72e2fb8b95a272feafdee1b268c0886404)
License type: Commercial, build 2022-10-02
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10 (10.0.19044 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP 

Standard graphics configuration.
  Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 (NVidia) Memory: 24GB, Driver date: 7-21-2022 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 516.94
    > Accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
        - Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0

OpenGL Settings
  Safe mode: Off
  Use accelerated hardware modes: On
  Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
  Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU's maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
  Mip Map Filtering: Linear
  Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
  Render version: 4.6
  Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
  Driver Date: 7-21-2022
  Driver Version: 31.0.15.1694
  Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
  Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
  Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
  Total Video Memory: 24 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp	"Commands"	7.23.22275.9001
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp	"Renderer Development Kit"	
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp	"RPC"	
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoBonusTools.rhp	"Rhino Bonus Tools"	
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp	"AnimationTools"	
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp	"Rhino Render"	7.23.22275.9001
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp	"Legacy Rhino Render"	
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp	"RDK_EtoUI"	7.23.22275.9001
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp	"Renderer Development Kit UI"	
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp	"Snapshots"	
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp	"RhinoCycles"	7.23.22275.9001
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp	"Toolbars"	7.23.22275.9001
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp	"3Dconnexion 3D Mouse"	
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\BlockEdit.rhp	"BlockEdit"	7.23.22275.9001
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp	"Displacement"	
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Calc.rhp	"Calc"	

Hi Eric - the image looks like it is an environment map for a gem perhaps? just a W.A.G. Can you sens us a file to tech@mcneel.com, with a olink back here in your comments?

-Pascal

It’s too big to email. Here’s a link to download that will expire in a couple of days.

Hi Eric - got it, but please delete the link if this is not meant to be a public file.

Ah, I see, OK
@EricM - the extra seems to all be plug-in user data . You do not show any third party plug-ins… so I’m not sure yet what is going on… the audit does not seem to show such a huge amount.

Yeah, the embedded images…

-Pascal

No worries, it’s the project loose bug from the other day.

I did a lot of playing trying to understand the behavior of project loose. I might have spent 15 minutes with those basic shapes. I’d use copy/paste history and change one little thing to see how it reacted. Then condensed it down to those examples.

I think my blocks were initially linked to that file, but I never inserted a block in. I only used that plane, base polycrv, and the projection output (times a dozen? copies).

I disabled all plugins trying to figure out my other issue, but I don’t have any rendering or jewelry plugins.

Leo is something I wrote that converts a nominal finger size into a circle of an actual size.

Hi Eric - it’s the bitmaps, and Purge will clean it up. I guess it would be helpful in tracking this down to have an uninflated file that will inflate if you do X, Y or Z… I suspect the purged file will behave itself…?

-Pascal

Is there any way this is related to my Creating meshes... Press Esc to cancel issue with history replays?

I’ll try to keep an eye on it, but I’ve never really watched my file sizes (only realized I had this issue when discourse dinged me for being over the upload size limit on a file with 4 crvs and a plane). I spot-checked files from the past month and every one of them had this issue to some degree.