Independent transparency category

Hi there,

Can’t believe that it took me so long to realise that rhino now supports geometry transparency. Anyway, this is a gamechanger for my workflow.

Is it possible to have transparency as another category like layer colour, print width etc? The reason I ask is because if I want to change 5 layers each having different colours so that they all are 50% transparent, I don’t know how to do that without changing the layers all to one colour.

Transparency independence from colour would also be beneficial at the object level.

Best,
Jeremy

You can try this one on as a workaround for now… Select multiple layers from the list box and then set the Alpha value you want to apply. 0=fully transparent; 255=fully opaque. RGB values are unchanged. No real-time preview of course.

ChangeLayerColorTransparency.py (984 Bytes)

I can modify this to have one that works on object color.

Voilà… Note that this will automatically attribute color by object even if the previous setting for the object was color by layer. Will not work on block instances for now.

Edit: fixed bug with color by layer
ChangeObjectColorTransparency.py (1.4 KB)

1 Like

Wonderful, thank you so much for your work Mitch :slight_smile:

I think that it would be good for future a future rhino update because when combining colour with transparency, arrowheads, line thickness and draw order, Rhino pretty much is a one software powerhouse for my design drawings at school.

Best,
Jeremy

Just doing some tests, and not sure if I understand the behaviour.

The Change Layer transparency script works a treat

With change object transparency, I’m encountering the following:

In the first image, you can see that all attributes are inherited by layer (object highlight turned off)

Which has transparency

But when i run Change object colour transparency (in this instance to 40),

The colour is lost in favour of transparency

So perhaps the script for object needs the inherit layer colour then apply transparency while keeping that layer colour so it doesn’t turn greyscale?

Best,
Jeremy

Well, that’s what it was supposed to do… Looks like I didn’t do enough to force the layer color onto the object color, and I didn’t test enough either… Hang on, I will try to fix this.

OK, I think I fixed that, try re-downloading from the link above. This only works with objects with color by layer or by object, I did not go into color by parent (blocks) or by material - too complicated for now.

1 Like

Yep, seems to have done the trick, thanks for the efforts :slight_smile:

Cheerio

When the time comes, for match properties to have transparency included could be useful as well.

Cheers