Importing Solidworks 2019 files :-(

Had two calls this week from clients saying that they are not able to import SW 2019 files. I told them this is “normal” as Rhino is always a version or two behind. They were not all that happy about that…

Is there a way to save out a previous version of files from SW? I know that Autodesk products usually can, but the client did not know how to do this in SW (and I don’t know SW at all).

Any plans to update the importer with a service release? Maybe for the WIP?

At the worst case I can have them export STEP from SW, but that is not the ideal solution.

Thx, --Mitch

It seems it is not possible.
A model from an earlier version of SOLIDWORKS is automatically converted to the newer version of SOLIDWORKS when you save it. You cannot do a save as to an earlier version, and you cannot open the newer version with an older version of SOLIDWORKS, with one exception. You can open part and assembly files in read-only mode in Service Pack 5 of the previous release.
http://help.solidworks.com/2019/english/SolidWorks/sldworks/AFX_HIDD_FILESAVE.htm

If I remember correctly from the time when I was still using Solidworks (in school, before I truly discovered Rhino, that is), there is indeed no way to save as a previous version of solidworks. This makes it impossible to collaborate with other people that don’t run the same version as you have and forces you to buy the latest version. Pretty insane.

I deal with this a lot.

The best one I have found is not actually STEP, but IGES with

• Export 3D Curve features/enabled
  • Export sketch entities/enabled

If it’s an assembly the parts will come in as separate layers and you get all the SWX sketch geometry which can be helpful.

I have found that sometimes STEP models can have crazy surface geometry if the model is more complex. For me IGES has been more reliable/accurate.

No way to backsave SWX files. Actually super annoying because inevitably people/companies/vendors will be on different versions at different times.

1 Like

Hi Mitch - the WIP might support 2019 already - not sure.I expect it will if it does not of course, but I would not expect V6 to at this point. I’m not even sure I have any 2019 files around to test.

-Pascal

Has anyone tried this? Does someone have a simple file they can post here to test?

try this

proxy 2019 SLDPRT.zip (67.6 KB)

Thanks @cdordoni !

Hmm, that also imports in V6… so that is definitely a 2019 file? I wonder why my client is not able to import then.

Yes, its definitely a 2019 file. It contains simple extrusions, perhaps there are issues with more complex surfaces.

RH-54469 is fixed in the latest Service Release Candidate