Imported objects are messy after exploding them

I am importing solid geometry into Rhino in DWG format. The blocks are held properly when imported. When exploding them, they become this huge mess that completely disintegrates the form. Can anyone explain or point me in the right direction to rectify it. Thanks

File:BLOCK_MESS_MCNEELFORUM.3dm (1018.2 KB)

Hi -
That’s a typical indication of a far-from-origin issue. Your object is about 2 802 964 600 units from the origin.

The file you posted only has one object and when I explode the block in Rhino 6, it looks like this:

As you see in this picture, the wireframe of the model is fine. It’s just the display mesh that is messed up.

To resolve this in Rhino 6, you can simply run ClearAllMeshes and then put the viewport into a shaded display mode again. Rhino 7 has multiple “FFO” enhancements and you no longer have to do that there.

To avoid running into more issues with this file, you could move all objects closer to the world origin. Or use Rhino 7.
-wim

1 Like

Wow, learning so much everyday! it worked!
Ironically, I do have rhino 7 because I take all these into Revit using Rhino.Inside Revit. Now just have to figure out a way to retain the project origin. Thanks a lot. :grinning:

Hi -

If you were to use Rhino 7, theoretically, there wouldn’t be a need to figure this out. It should work.
That said, we are interested in hearing about cases where you run into far-from-origin issues in Rhino 7 so that possible problems can be fixed.
-wim

1 Like

Sure, I will test this out on Rhino 7 and get back to you with updates soon.