Imported Geometry with isocurves not on surface, edges not continuous

I have geometry to work on that has been imported, it was supplied in Parasolid format and has been translated to STEP so I could bring it into Rhino (I think it was originally created in Pro-Engineer/Creo).

Several surfaces show the isocurves are pulled away from the surface, and the border is not continuous. Try as I might I can’t get a clean import so will have to rebuild.

My questions is, what is the cause of this? Rhino doesn’t report these surfaces as being bad objects.

My guess is that the part was knitted together at some point with a lower tolerance, I typically work to the default for small mm objects (0.001mm). Any insight would be much appreciated.

Yep, believe it or nuts, you can actually work to really bad tolerances in ProE/Creo. Everything gets jammed together into a solid with low tolerances.

If you need to fix this stuff, you will need to explode the objects, run RebuildEdges on them and then go about fixing them by extending, retrimming, MatchSrf, etc. to get the edges within proper joining tolerance.

Thanks very much for the reply. I thought that was probably the case, glad to have it confirmed. I can now bellyache to the client and sound as if I know what I’m talking about. :smiley:

And thanks for the tips for correcting the issue. I’ll give it a try.