Imported drawing on wrong axis; how to change it to fit Rhino grid

Newbee. my imported drawing is “on its edge” on the grid in perspective view. How to I change the object to the grid? I tried rotating it but maybe doing it incorrectly.

Hi Bob - if there is a view that looks correct - that is, how you want it to look in Top - say it looks right in Front, make that view active and start the command
RemapCPlane. Select everything you want to change and then click in the Top viewport - does that do it?

-Pascal

Pascal,
that made the “front” view (xz) now look correct in the “top” view (yx), but in the perspective view the object is still on its “edge”

Pascal,
Sorry for the delay; didn’t have the notification turned on.
I just remapped cplane to the perspective view and that appears to have fixed my problem! I’ll need to check to see if it’s facing in the correct position.

Pascal,
While it looks good now I notice that it is still on the xz coordinates in the perspective view. I plan on making this on a 3D printer so I’m guessing the object must be “flat” on an xy axis.

Newbee. my imported drawing is “on its edge” on the grid in perspective view. How to I change the object to the grid? I tried rotating it but maybe doing it incorrectly.

Hi Bob - if there is a view that looks correct - that is, how you want it to look in Top - say it looks right in Front, make that view active and start the command
RemapCPlane . Select everything you want to change and then click in the Top viewport - does that do it?

While it looks good now I notice that it is still on the xz coordinates in the perspective view. I plan on making this on a 3D printer so I’m guessing the object must be “flat” on an xy axis. Not sure how to move object to another set of axis.

Looks better in perspective view but it is still oriented on the XZ axis Hope to 3D print it so I’m assuming it must be on an xy axis

Hi Bob - post the file, if that is a allowed, or PM me if it is private, and I’ll take a look.

-Pascal

Bob’s problem with Rhino object on wrong axis

(Attachment Luggage box wrong axis.3dm.rhl is missing)

Bob’s problem with Rhino object on wrong axis

Luggage box wrong axis.3dm (235 KB)

Hi Bob - start in the Right view - select the object, start RemapCPlane and then click in the Top view.
Any luck?

-Pascal

@bob.clemens - the first thing I would do is run the command _4View twice in succession to reset all of your viewports and CPlanes to default (you have a custom plane set in the Perspective viewport).

Then I would do as Pascal suggests, select your objects in the Right viewport, call RemapCPlane and click in the Top viewport.

Imported object from another CAD software was sized incorrectly and was placed on the wrong axis.

Their solution: Run -4View twice, select object in Right viewport - run RemapCPlane, click in Top viewport.

Pascal and Helvetosaur’s procedures worked great!!

1 Like