Import File Type Behaviour

Some of my projects (interior scenes especially) have me downloading a variety of 3D models from GrabCAD, McMaster Carr, CGTrader, etc.

1. When I first run the Import command and click on my Downloads folder I see all the files I downloaded because the File Type box in the bottom right initially defaults to Supported Files.

2. I import the first model which is a STEP file.

3. I then run the Import command again, but now the File Type box in the bottom right has changed to STEP instead of Supported Files. So I have to go over and click the drop down list to change it back to Supported Files so that I can see and import the next file which might be a SLDPRT.

4. I then run the Import command again, but now the File Type box in the bottom right has changed to SLDPRT. So I have to go over and click the drop down list again to change it back to Supported Files so that I can see and import the next file which might be an OBJ.

Is there a way to change this behavior? Having it always show all supported file types would be ideal.

1 Like

Instead of importing file after file, you could also just drag and drop all the files out of the explorer onto a viewport in one go.

I mean sure, you could do this. If you had a group of files with different formats to import all at once then batch importing via dragging into viewport would definitely save time, but the issue I pointed out with the Import command still remains. It’s default behavior should be a selectable option.

2022, and still no solution?
I’m up to V8, which is great,
but the hassle remains.
I look at a variety of formats all day.
I want to default to supported files, every time.
Help Rhino geniuses!

1 Like

Hello - in V8, change this setting in Options > Advanced:

Does that do what you want?

-Pascal

1 Like

Finally this undesirable behavior is fixed! Thank both of you for pointing this out.

So what you’re saying is:
I should read the instructions? :grinning:
Thanks Pascal!

Not at all! There is no way to know this without asking…

-Pascal

I toggled Rhino.Options.FileSettings.AlwaysDisplayAllFiletypes to True and while this solves the unnecessary clicking on file import, it looks like it has created new unnecessary clicking for file export.

I’m currently working on a file for a client and have been exporting STL files with various mesh settings. With Rhino.Options.FileSettings.AlwaysDisplayAllFiletypes toggled to True, I now have to manually select STL from the drop down list every single time I export, because it defaults to Rhino8 as file type now. Can we get separate advanced options for Import and Export? Because right now this is just one step forward and one step backward for me.

On file Import I’d like it to always be All File Types, because I download a wide variety of files to bring into Rhino and I want to see them all every time on the import popup window. Whereas on file export I’d like it to remember the last file type I just exported, because I often export a group of STL files, then a group of DXF files, then a group of STEP files. The whole goal is to reduce the amount of unnecessary clicks.