I'm losing my cages

Just move the cage or the cage’s ctrl pts not the object it controls. You probably know this and may want it to behave differently but that’s how it works now. In your example 4. The children are not directly moved by manually lifting each child. Instead, the rope they are attached to moves and the children follow. As for the copies not working, that’s because they have new object IDs/names once copied and those objects don’t know about the parent child relationship of the originals. Again, you probably know all this and may be asking for the behavior to be different. Let me know if you think this is a critical change needed and I’ll file it for the developers to look into each of the issues.

I hope that guy on the cell isn’t supposed to be watching those kids.

The guy on the cell represents the sphere that got released from its cage.

I had no idea! I’ve been using Rhino for what, a few months now? and never ever ever occurred to me that they are called cages, and captives for a reason. Users, we are sooo dumb!

You are talking nerdspeak now :slight_smile: If I select something that behaves a certain way, and I copy it, I want the copies to also behave the same way. The power on cage edit is that we can quickly do form variations and see what those look like, how interferences change (thanks clipping planes!), etc. Unfortunately we have no chance to do variations that are based on anything other previous variation. We have to start each time at the starting point cage. Example:

I have an object and I want to cage it around to make it look better…

I want to see option A with a cluster of of points expanded on Y (like my screenshot #2). Looks ok.

I want to now see also option B, that has same transform of option A PLUS moving a few of the upper point up on Z. And see how that compares to option A, side by side.

Right now it can’t be done (except for snapping to points when it’s a simple example with a few points like I show here).

This would be a really powerful feature so cages are much more useful for design exploration.

Maybe there’s a work around like a cage-match script? (Pascal, want to go on a cage-match?)

…In the meantime I feel like my cage losing battle continues. …Off to listen to this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WcbM6uGQ2k

Cool, we’re down to one feature request then. I actually found this filed already as RH-13357
I added this forum thread to the comments too. I’m not finding a way to get around the current behavior but if I come up with something, I’ll let you know.

1 Like

Maybe now would be a good time to reiterate my request for the ability to copy objects with history relationships and have the copies retain the history. [Wish] Copy/Move with History

In a case like this one could make a bunch of copies of the cage and captive and try different edits on each.

@gustojunk You do not have to start each cage edit with a “starting point cage”. You can use a copy of a previously undistorted control object, aka “cage”.

Use CageEdit to distort an object.

Copy the distorted first captured object and the distorted first control object.

Run CageEdit with the copy of the distorted first captured object as the new captured object, and the copy of the distorted first control object as the new control object.

Distort the copied captured object by moving control points of the copied control object.

This file has three examples of a distorted sphere. Cage Edit DC1.3dm (988.3 KB)
Layer “One” was the first distortion.
Layer “Two” was copied from Layer “One” and then distorted further.
Layer “Three” was copied from Layer “One” and also distorted further.

Also, note that the control object can be created using one of the options within CageEdit (Bounding Box, Line, Rectangle, Box); created using the Cage command; or any curve/line or simple surface.