IGES or STEP Import from SolidWorks

Not sure if you have the Solidworks file that the STEP file was exported from. It would be interesting to note if the issues you are finding could also be found in SolidWorks file by using the “Check …” function (Tools menu), with the “Stringent solid/surface check” enabled.

Also, enabling “Verification on rebuild” in the Options (Tools menu, System Options/Performance), might catch a few issues as well.

I checked with the original developer and they confirmed that the parts are valid and also tried importing the STEP files they sent with success. I imported a few of the problem STEP files into Fusion 360 and they came in as solid bodies and passed validation as well. So that suggests the issue is Rhino’s importer. One easy area for improvement may be a saner default tolerance on imported files.

Hi Ashley - can you send me one of these via private message, I’d like to try the V6 importer, which should be better. Or you can test using the V6 WIP from the Serengeti group.

-Pascal

Sent

Hi Ashley - Thanks - I’ll ask the developer to have a look.

-Pascal

Hi there,

Hope this is not too late. but I would suggest you the BIMDeX - SolidWorks to Rhino Exporter. This product came in handy to get my college project completed. You can reach sales@bim-dex.com for any further queries. They even provided me a free plugin trial for testing purposes.

Thanks.

As side note:
usually, IGES is probably what you are looking for.

I remember that exporting from Rhino to Solidworks IGES I often apply to shrink the trimmed surface to get good results and the engineering team happy.

Does this happen in Solidworks IGES trimmed surfaces?

I’m speculating here but, could be also the other way?
If you need to export from Solidwork, can you apply a sort of equivalent to shaking trimmed surfaces (in Solidworks) before exporting to Rhino?

This is an almost four year old thread, which was revived by Sujan who is promoting software.

Ha ok! sorry. I did not pay attention to the forum 4 YEARS LATER note.

Sometimes old problems and this kind of threads trigger other users to build up a solution that takes time. Later that structure or developer returns back to that old thread and places his pay solution. I think is handy to know there is a pay alternative in this case.

Hello evryone,

I’m actually looking for the better way to overpass this problem : what would you suggest please ?

I’m looking for exporting solidworks assemblies to rhino, and keep the colors / layers.

Is anyone have a tip ??

Sincerely,

Maxime

Hi Maxime - please post a simple assembly file - a few boxes is just fine - and a corresponding Rhino file with everything as you want it.

-Pascal

It’s been 8 years since this post started. The issues we faced with importing from Solidworks were solved long ago. We’ve imported thousands of STEP files of Solidworks assemblies since then with very few issues. Occasionally we’ll get a strange one, but it’s usually solved by the Solidworks user tweaking something on their end. I do know that exporting Rhino files via STEP can be problematic for downstream CAM software if you don’t choose the correct schema. We find AP214 is much better than AP203. With AP203 we lose colours in our CAM software. Perhaps the issue Maxime is having is due to the format being incorrect from Solidworks?

1 Like