IFC import export with V6, IfcOpenShell

I don’t get it …In Food4 Rhino, this is labeled as a Grasshopper plugin.

I confirm that this crashes Rhino badly.
The version with the viewer should be removed.

@osuire

Food4Rhino is a mess. I’ve said it before.

Second, this plugin should pop-up inside the New Package Manager Search (not working atm)

Package Manager is under developed:

• Some keywords in search bar don’t offer any results.
  • It should work based on Description also, not only by Name.
  • To make things even worse it is case sensitive so you wont get the same results when searchng for IFC and ifc.
  • Results should mention if an installed plugin is coming by default when installing Rhino or if it has been installed afterwards.
  • Descripton should have a place for a set of images
  • Package manager should specify if a plugin is made for Rhino or for GH or for both…
3 Likes

I still think that Rhino should be able to import IFC natively.
Geometry should have also all the keys and values that can be retreaved.
The user should decide how to manage those Keys and Values.

1 Like

As someone who tried to get his feet wet with the BIM workflow, and sat in those regarding courses, including IFC: that format is somewhat of a p.i.t.a. Could also be that I’m too stupid for it, but it’s indeed very nerdy and unintuitive. Buerocratic.
Lost my interest, mostly.
Which doesn’t mean that we are not going to need it. It will stick for a while…

2 Likes

Have to say that I’ve learned BIM (Revit) by myself like 15 years ago in University, in the same time while learning Grasshopper and since then the main principles didn’t change.

IFC is a standard format for coordination between engineers and architects. Even though, now, the coordination is done directly in Revit.

Geometry gets exported as ACIS (*.sat) into dwg format in order to use Rhino.
I still wish that I could get an export including Keys and Values, mainly because of Materials or more precisly Material ID’s.

Don’t know why this topic didn’t get much traction since 2017…

2 Likes

More traction from me here. Traction, traction, traction.

True. This should not be THAT complicated. Rhino should give us a simplified IFC import and export, and if maintaining “BIM-based workflows” is too complicated…

… then just permit Rhino to import IFC and forget the export.

1 Like

We keep watching IFC readers are difficult to say the least. The fact that there are so many.

There are options fo IFC:

1. BEAM IFC
  2. Visual ARQ has IFC import and actually can deal with the data in Rhino
  3. Geometry Gym
  4. BIMDex IFC to Rhino
  5. IFC into Revit using Rhino.Inside Revit.
  6. IFCPanel - IFC Panel | Food4Rhino
  7. Using OpenIFCShell in CPython for direct access to the IFC file and its objects. Rhino.Python has the ability to read and write IFC files using this method.

The OpenIFC shell is quite interesting because then the data can be custom mapped to Rhino objects.

1 Like

@scottd thanks for the list,
Still,
I will not install any of this just to import something.
Please add basic import in Rhino for the geometry and Materials at least… Maybe some Keys for later.

1 Like

IFC is a format solely used in the AEC industry. Rhino, although often used in architecture, is not a tool specialized in this industry. Therefore, plugins exist which expand it’s capabilities for it.
Besides, IFC is a complex beast. You would want an importer(/exporter) to work flawlessly, but the effort on McNeel’s side would be considerable.
Doesn’t mean it wouldn’t be nice to have…

2 Likes