IFC export options

Hello,

Is there a way to add data to these IFC categories using key/value pairs in Visual Arq?

Thanks,

Dan

Hi @lignindes,

The IFC Material is still not available, I added your vote for this request.

Can you detail a little bit more which are the other three?
For example, by IFC identifier do you mean IfcGloballyUniqueId?
Because this is already added to identify any entity that needs to, like the IfcProject or an IfcPropertySet among many other.

In any case with the VisualARQ custom parameters you can add data that gets exported as Property Sets to IFC. Checkout this video to learn more about custom parameters:

The parameter group name will be the name of the property set prefixed with “VaIfc_”. For example in Solibri it looks like this:

Kind regards

1 Like

Ramon,

Thanks for the reply. I’m not that familiar with IFC categories, it seems that there are 1000’s. Is this the best place to read more on the 2x3 version? Is this the best resource?

https://standards.buildingsmart.org/IFC/RELEASE/IFC2x3/FINAL/HTML/

The image in the previous post is from Dietrich’s CAD/CAM’s IFC importer. Here is another image showing more information.

IFCMaterial:
If VA could add this category in a future release that would be great.

IFCEntityTypeObject
I’m not sure what category this is supposed to read from. I will ask Dietrich’s.

IFCIdentifier
Is reading the IFCBuildingElement. So if I’m understanding the hierarchies correctly, it seems that they are mis-using IFCIdentifier, and should instead be calling out IFCBuildingElement where we define IFCBeam, IFCColumn, etc.

IFCObjectType
I’m not sure what category this is supposed to read from, as when I read through some documentation all I can find is IFCTypeObject and not IFCObjectType. This is getting very confusing! When I open the VA generated IFC file in Solibri I see that both the ‘Type’ and ‘IFC Type’ fields are empty however. Could I request that VA populate either one of these categories natively?.

Using notepad, I opened the IFC generated by VA and found an IFCBeam. Is this pairing of the first 4 items correct? I’m just trying to understand this format a bit better.

I watched the video you sent, it’s very well done. I run some tests on adding custom parameters!

Thanks,

Dan

Hi @lignindes,

I don’t know how this software works, that’s why I was asking about those fields because I couldn’t understand which ones they were. Probably they are the ones that are missing in Solibri as well (Type and IFC Type).

The reason is that it seems that you are exporting just tagged geometry. If you want them to be set you should use VisualARQ objects instead.
If you have already a model with just Rhino geometry one solution is to create styles with block representation for each existing element. However you may find limitations because currently not all styles offer the option to set a block representation (like beams and walls).
We will let you know when this feature is available.

Take into account that converting them to styles by block won’t give you all the features of a native object, but at least you will get more than with just tagged geometry, like for example the IfcObject.

If for example you export a VisualARQ beam it will look like this:

Regarding the pairing of the IfcBuildingElement, it is correct. The rest are paired like below. The dollar sign represents an empty value for a parameter.

Kind regards

Ramon,

Your answer is very helpful.

Thank you!

Dan

Can I ask how native keys/values in Rhino will be exported to IFC? not talking about special visualarq parameters

Hello @ivan.galik,

For now, you can only export custom parameters as IFC. So, if you need to export the user text attributes data, you will need to move this data to the custom parameters. You can do it with Grasshopper with the following script:

User text to custom parameters

user text to custom parameters.3dm (2.7 MB)
user text to custom parameters.gh (11.5 KB)

3 Likes

would it be possible to split this functionality to a smaller/cheaper plugin just for ifc import export? i can imagine i would then just create GH definition which would export ifcs and all keys and values would be updated in one step.

Hello @ivan.galik,

That is not an option for now. If you need the export/import features, you need to get the full software.

https://www.visualarq.com/sales/#tab|0

1 Like

please consider it. i would not pay 800e just for one function.

1 Like

I would also vote for this feature.

2 Likes

Want to add my vote for this too

1 Like

Hello guys, i need to convert one of my quasi 4D simulation done in rhino into IFC. I have objects with user attributes defining state for each month of construction. I need to export the geometry as well with the attributes to ifc and thats all. Is there someone willing to help me out? Thank you.

PS: I am worried that some objects wont translate to ifc (hatches, texts,…). In that case i might convert hatches into surfaces and texts into curves.

Hi @ivan.galik,

You can find information about how to export to Ifc here: https://www.visualarq.com/features/collaboration/ifc/
https://youtu.be/taCmwC7lXq8

If you need to export to Ifc, you just need to select the corresponding objects, go to File>Export selected and choose the Ifc format.

Texts are exported to Ifc. Hatches cannot be exported to Ifc, but we could modify the exporter to explode them to Ifc as curves, what do you think?

Hi again @ivan.galik,

I forgot to add that if you have information as user text, this will need to be transform it to VisualARQ custom parameters in order to export it as Ifc properties. You can do this automatically with the following Grasshopper definition (you will need to install Elefront for this):

User text to custom parameters

user text to custom parameters.3dm (2.7 MB)
user text to custom parameters.gh (10.5 KB)

Converting to curves could mean tons of curves but thats an option. I opted for translating hatches into solid hatches and exploding as surfaces. Thats an option b (make surfaces out of hatches).

1 Like

Hi,

Few notes:

-the script is not made for multiple objects so i had to adjust it a little (graft, simplify, etc…)
-text objects are not supported in VA node so even if they are exported to ifc they cannot have user attributes transferred with this script
-the export to ifc produces strange things. curves are displayed as annotations and there are strange circles all over the place messing up the whole model

*model in rhino contains ONLY curves and surfaces, nothing else

Hi @ivan.galik,

What do you mean? Which component is not working? I did it this way and it looks like it works fine:

user text to custom parameters.gh (10.6 KB)
Text example.3dm (2.5 MB)

What do you mean? I see the circles in your screenshot but not the “curves displayed as annotations”. Please, could you send us this Rhino model so that we can test it? We will need to reproduce this behaviour in order to solve it. You can post it here os send it to visualarq@asuni.com.

Regarding this. Text object in rhino is not supported in plain grasshopper and seems like not supported by VA node either. I actually used Extended geometry from elefront to reference the text from Rhino but the VA node says its not supported.

Otherwise i have just sent you an email with the file.

Hi @ivan.galik,

You need to use this param component, which is a VisualARQ component:

With this component you can reference text and the other VisualARQ components will work.

Also, I have been checking your file; I exported it to Ifc and import it to a different software but I didn’t get those circles. Which software are you using to import the Ifc? It might be a problem in the importer. Please, try to import the file to a different software to check if you get the same result.