Identifying and fixing errors in a model

Hi I’m beginning with Rhino.
I have a simple closed line drawing I created in Illustrator which I opened in Rhino to extrude and Flow.
I extrude the curves and the difference some details in the center so I’m left with this shaded slab. When I try to Flow along a circle the objects flows but turns into a wire frame,
in the same viewport, so its 's longer shaded.

I’ve tried soon many ways to figure this out on my own and on line but the same thing keeps occurring.
I’m sure it’s operator error but can’t waste any more time messing with it.

Thanks in advance!!

Jeff if you upload your model or some screenshots with your problem I’m sure someone will give you some advice

Check your control points. Imported illustrator lines can get a little funky sometimes and make super dense models.

Well I think the points look pretty square I don’t see any openings.
Pics of it with points on, extruded then flowed as you can see shaded right up to the flow
procedure.

Hi,

Firstly, it looks you have a lot of extra nodes in the centers of your line, which will make more nodes for more complicated geometry.

I see gaps between the green source line on the bottom, and the objects you want to flow. Is that the problem?
Also, It might not hurt to find the length of the destination curve (ring) and make the source (line) the same length, and scale your geometry (or a copy of )the same length.

Comping from Illustrator, you may find Rhino’s node editing pretty good, but the handlebar mode works differently.

I tried deleting some of those center points earlier and it messes up the geometry.
Maybe I should just re draw in Rhino and only use the Illustrator drawing as an underlay.

If it was messed up by deleting the central nodes, perhaps Rhino thought they were supposed to be curved curved on import.

Using snaps, you could trace over your original figure in just a few minutes. You can lock/unlock the original figure, or place it on a separate layer so nothing happens to it. Often most of the work is figuring out how to make something, or what size to make things.

Still, the issue may be that the source line is offset of the geometry.

[If you want a continuous seamless result, while it’s still flat, you could copy the figure, place the beginning at the end, and modify the end so it’s seamless.]

The reason those supposedly straight lines have four control points in Rhino is that they were probably drawn with the spline tool in Illustrator, so they are interpreted as Bézier splines in Rhino - degree 3 curves with 4 control points each. You might first try selecting the whole figure and calling SimplifyCrv. See if the control points don’t reduce to one at each vertex and nothing in between, and that What/Properties>Details doesn’t call the figure a Polyline.

If they don’t, the lines may indeed be slightly curved, so leave them that way - unless you want them straight - in which case you might try using ChangeDegree and changing the degree to 1, then SimplifyCrv.

Once your figure is as you want, also check for open curves - they should all be closed as far as I can see. Then try your Flow and see if it doesn’t work better. Another thing you can try is to select the whole figure, call the CurveBoolean command, set DeleteInput to All, and pick inside the areas you want to keep until the shaded figure looks as you want, then OK. That may also automatically fix some stuff like self-intersectiong curves you might not otherwise see.

HTH, --Mitch