Idea: rethink the Gumball when working with SubD

Gumball behavior not consistent when working with Nurbs and SubD:

Let´s start with a circle not SubD frendly:

Now let’s (in this order) select the horizontal scale little square, press the CTRL key, drag to the left the horizontal scale little square. We obtain a circular surface

Now let’s delete the surface and rebuild the original circle making it SubD friendly with 6 control points.

Now let’s (in this order) select the horizontal scale little square, press the CTRLl key, drag to the left the horizontal scale little square. We obtain a Sub D that is not circular

( I noticed that if we also click the SHIFT key while dragging the small square can obtain a circular SubD surface)
So what I think maybe would be a good idea when we want to create a SubD extrusion (we have previously selected “Extrude” on the SubD menu) is that the Gumball should slightly change its functioning (and also slightly its looks) so that::

1. we can extrude in 1D when dragging in one direction the small square of the Gumball
  2. we can extrude simetrically in 2D by dragging and clicking in one direction the small square of the Gumball while cliking on the SHIFT key
  3. In an edge of an existing SubD surface we can extrude it by simply dragging it 1D with the horizontal or vertical arrows or 2D with the square that allows 2D movements of the Gumball

Is this helpful?

2 Likes

Sure is Kyle, thanks, but I still think that is too confusing to have to deal with all those keys to accomplish what we want. Gumball was super before SubD, but IMHO needs an upgrade to encompass the SubD capabilities in a “natural” way, without gimmicks

3 Likes