ID tracking?

Dear Members,

I’ve designed a 3d surface in Grasshopper containing some curves! I’m backing them and followed in Rhino by squish command. As the ID of each 3d curve is modified in 2d because of squish command, there is any possibility to set them back in Grasshopper in an automated way? I thought it could be possible if the ID of a curve remain unchanged or could be tracked!
My solution is to visually identify each corresponding 2d curve, put it in a specific layer and reading the content of that layer in Grasshopper but it takes some time and could be done with mistakes!!
Unfortunately I don’t have any experience with coding!
Sorry if my question is not enough clear!
Thank you in advance!

Tracking|690x243 Tracking.3dm (768.1 KB) Tracking.gh (11.5 KB) .

In Grasshopper you could project the curves onto a plane or use ‘Make2D’.

Using ‘Project’ you can see that the indices of your items remain the same.

You can use Elefront to define attributes and then bake the objects. I’ve added it in your example.

Tracking.3dm (771.3 KB)
Tracking.gh (24.2 KB)

Thank you!
The 2D curves will be used to generate 2d patterns as in the attached picture (which is just an example who doesn’t contain exactly the curves from my initial post!). I can’t use Project or Make2D as these is modifying in an unsuitable way the 2D curves which will generate wrong patterns! I have to use the 2D curves generates by the squish command!

Patterns

Or maybe using of ID is not the proper method to recognize for each 2D curve which was the original 3D one! Hmmm,

Maybe this here helps?

There’s a script by @djordje

Thanks for remembering it! I’ve unsuccessfully tried it almost 2 years ago (the last post there was mine) but probably I’ve made something worng! I’ll test it again! Thank you!

Haha, I didn’t notice your name there. It was just a quick search :slight_smile:

But at the end the idea to project curves on a plane was useful because it gave me the solution to calculate the distance between a distal point and the midline point of each curve in 3D and 2D. Based on this distance I can recognize the 2D correspondent of the 3D curve!
Thanks!
Recognition.gh (31.4 KB)

But that thread has a lot of useful things if it will work in my case! So I’ve started a topic on this subject!
Thanks!

The solution was so simple but it is based on the “name” of the curves and not the ID.
Because if the curve’s ID is changed through Squish the name remain the same. So, using Elefront I’m baking the 3D curves with user defined attributes (including the ‘name’) then, after squishing I’m referencing back the curves based on their names.