I wish there was an entry-level CAM solution for Rhino3D

Nosorozec, yes, I was not going to bring it up, but Fusion 360 started the CAM software arms race I tried not to mention.

I’ve stated this off-topic, but I love Rhino 3D, and do not like Autodesk products, Autodesk as a company, or the horse it rode in on.

Well vendors, how do you answer that challenge?

Everyone can put their fingers in their ears and sing all you want, as I stated in this thread, I think Rhino 3D should have some entry-level solutions.

There are 62 posts in this thread so far with what looks like at least a dozen respondents. As you might notice if you look carefully at my post, it was a reply to the entire thread, not to one of your posts. I reserve the right to respond to any thread in this forum, as I would also defend your right to do so.

Now, however I will directly answer your post, as it was you who is calling me out here. FYI, my information has nothing to do with being a reseller, it comes from over 30 years of actually using CAM and CNC. I started programming CNC machines manually with G-Code in 1984 - for 10 years I ran my own prototype shop specializing in CAM and CNC milling, and for the last 13 years I have run a university student model shop where we program all sorts of automated production machines with everything from free script- and grasshopper- based CAM to higher end professional CAM software running inside of Rhino. My opinions are based on personal experiences and observations of both worlds.

You are free to look at the world from your point of view and express your opinion, as I am free to do the same from mine.

Helvetosaur, You obliviously have the right to post anywhere on this forum, or do whatever you want with your word.

Feb 28

Helvetosaur, I am sorry but I do not find the nature of your help helpful.

No problem, I won’t provide any more.

Well, I’m simply acting on the premise that one or more of the 17 other posters in this topic might…

Thanks Mitch. As a relatively new CNC user I certainly appreciate your experience and comments. And I bet there are a lot more than the 17 people who have posted on this who follow with interest.

2 Likes

Fine, take his side–after I buy one of your Pathmakers. : )

Hi Brenda, I do appreciate Mitch’s experience. I can also understand your challenge to CAD software companies to provide a mid level vertically integrated solution for an artist or craftsman who does not have the sales volume to justify more expensive software. Rhino is growing far beyond it’s roots as a simple nurbs modeler, and I’m sure all voices are heard on this forum.

Going deeper than self-serving nature, there is more to my self-serving nature: I want to protect the time I have spent leaning Rhino 3D. I feel that even it’s a great design program, I worry that another company’s deep war-chest approach to the marketing might have an effect on the design/CAD market.

What I want to happen is for a CAD vendor to reconsider the market.

Using the example of Indian and Harley Davidson, well, before the metal trade-war situation… The Indian Scout and the Harley Davidson Sportster both not only occupy the same market, but also both are introductory products for some people who would go on to buy…say Road Kings and Chiefs. Well, it seems that comparatively, the Indian Scout did very well. So, what happens?

[The Pathmaker is/was a unique and well-designed guitar. The neck attachment was novel and strong. Because the sides add little to the sound of the guitar, they could be made just as strong as you made them. I had seen that it was designed in Rhino 3D from your screenshots. Unfortunately, after being hit by a car, I found I still could not lean over an acoustic because of it’s thickness.]

[Unfortunately, Mitch and I have quarreled in several other threads. I am holding him to the honor of his word. Interpersonal dynamics can be fairly unpredictable.]

Thanks for your kind comments about the Pathmaker. Your observation is correct I do all my design work in Rhino. Personally I have found RhinoCAM to be a good fit for what I need to do with a CNC, especially considering the integration with Rhino. Nearly all the guitar shops here in the Huadu district of Guangzhou use JDPaint. It has both CAD and CAM capacity and is probably pretty inexpensive. I’ve also seen some shops doing basic 2d work just write their G code directly with NC Studio.

In this thread you can see forum members recommending Rhino’s competitor solely because of its CNC capabilities.

1 Like

This just gave me a flashback of that guy who used to rail on the newsgroup about how rhino was doomed and/or immoral, so long as it was not an all-in-one cad/cam solution, or somesuch.

1 Like

Noooo.

-Pascal

2 Likes

Dare I mention the name? That would be Mister Jon B… Self-proclaimed god of CAD/CAM. Wonder what happened to him… :exploding_head:

Oh, the good old days of alt.machines.cnc… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Seems not unlikely that he ended up one of those people who gets into an internet argument, and ends up driving to some guy’s house in tennessee to have it out in real life. I may be making that up, or not … senility is a drag.

Have a look at bark beetle for grasshopper,
Sorry,already covered ,my bad

fwiw, you can use Fusion CAM without an internet connection… if you’re opening .3dm directly, the connection is required since it uploads then translates the format… But if you export from Rhino as .STEP, Fusion will open it directly without needing a cloud translator.

I wish McNeel had the resources to add an integrated digital fabrication solution to Rhino.

1 Like

Fusion 360 is not just CNC software, it’s largely is a Rhino 3D competitor.

maybe… but in my case, i use it for CAM and rendering only… all modeling is done in Rhino.

i don’t even know the basics of modeling in Fusion other than making a box or moving an object (and i use it nearly every single day :slight_smile: )

The people who are making Fusion360 appear to be working for a day that no one will be able to own CAD software.

~

Even a Pycam amount of functionality would be a nice addition.
http://pycam.sourceforge.net/screenshots/

Pycam isn’t getting much attention these days: