I painstakingly hand modeled, I want to automatize in grasshopper

Hello. Please give a direction or tell me how in a grasshopper it is possible to generate such lines on surfaces?

Welcome to the forum!
Have you tried yourself? Where did your get stuck? Do you want to replicate this exactly? Or do you want something to be different? Who is this image by and have you asked the author for advice or permission to copy their work?

I’ve found from experience that you’ll get a lot more useful assistance here if you ask more specific questions.

You could start by drawing or tracing the parts of the image you like in Rhino. Maybe you like the way the light falls on the different levels of the surface, it maybe it’s more the 2d graphic qualities. You could start exploring that by drawing some arcs or curves and using this component Tween Curve - Grasshopper Curve - Component for Grasshopper | Grasshopper Docs
And feeding it a list of parameters

Good luck and feel free to keep asking questions when you get stuck!

Thanks . I am the author of this model. The model consists of separate objects and is assembled into a rectangle like a puzzle. Each line on the objects is a loft consisting of a circle and a guide. It took me a very long time to build each loft and it is very tiring… I need to get a drawing on the lines randomly every time. If there is a solution to automate this process - please tell me how this is done using a grasshopper?

Ok that’s an excellent news.short answer is yes, grasshopper can help you do this more flexibly. but it depends on the details.

Maybe this post would do get more attention if the title read “I painstakingly modelled this manually, but would like to recreate it in grasshopper. How should I get started?”

Could you please upload your model or a portion of it which you are happy to share? Even some more explanatory images would gona long way. One dark image does not explain the intricacies or complexities of what you have created. I can’t understand what’s happening spatially from your image. Post some diagrams, zoomed in details, screen grabs or cross sections.

How familiar are you with Grasshopper? If you’re just getting started I’d highly recommend looking at this series
01 - Interface Basics on Vimeo or have a bit of a Google.

If you’ve already made a few scripts you could start by searching for all the rhino commands you used in grasshopper. Eg ‘circle’ and ‘loft’ you’ll find that each of these correspond to grasshopper components. You can string them together just as you’ve done in Rhino to model the original object. It’s not that simple, but once you’ve done that post your attempt
grasshopper file here you’re sure to get some help.

It might help to look at this

https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/help-us-help-you/50034

Thanks for the help). corrected the title. I’m a beginner, but I’ve already done constructs in grasshopper and am already familiar with it (only basic functions). But sometimes it is not clear to me how to build the logic of an algorithm in a grasshopper.

I attach the model file to the message
DMV.KAZA.FRM.006.4.3dm (4.4 MB)

man, a beautiful work! :clap:

you can literally choose what, and to what extent, you want to be controlled completely by you, and what you might want to be generated randomly

there are for sure some main features over which you would like to have total control
for instance, I guess you want to be able to customize the exact XYZ final size of the assembled box

speaking of the tesselation:
would you like to manually draw curves and define the boundary of the tiles yourself?
maybe something like this [Fennech plugin]

or would you rather just like to set the number of tiles and generate divisions based on some sort of algorithm?

same thing about the groves on the very top of each tile, do they follow any particular “rule of thumb” you had in mind while designing your model?

this is just a fast sketch where tile-division curves also determine the flow of the groves (for this reason it won’t work if base curves are intersecting, that is how fast and dirty it was done :smiley: ) but hopefully can give you a hint on how easy it might be to control things and what you really want to control in detail

[it uses Fennec and Putterfish plugins + randomColor from Wombat]
TileGroove.gh (19.5 KB)

7 Likes

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your help!) This is what I need. I will study your example.

Division into segments, sometimes you need to do it manually, but this is rare and there should be such an opportunity … Basically, random division is needed. Yes, of course I need to adjust the exact size of the box (XYZ). For the stripes on the surface of each segment, you need to change the direction along the XY. As well as the pitch, diameter (if a circle is used for a loft profile), side length if a square or triangle is used. The most difficult thing, probably, is when the upper surface of each segment does not lie in the XY coordinates (non-planar), but has a curvature in 3D space. And already on this curved surface, an array of random stripes.

how could this happen? :slight_smile:

I’m sorry, I made a mistake!) The surface not only lies in the XY coordinates, but is also curved in the Z coordinate. That’s how it would be correct to say.

TEST_0078.3dm (7.4 MB)