I hate (my) radius dimensions

i found out that it is going to be implemented only in the version 8 as a UI checkbox.

RH-40076

Hi mitch, good to know.
I have V7 with options imported from V6 (that was updated from V5) so probably I need a new template too (this could explain some differencies between my pc and other new installations…).
Thanks for your feedback.

@lowell - OK, I finally ended up importing the whole shebang (22 layouts) into a new base V7 file, assigning a ‘native’ V7 dimension style from the default template to all 600+ dimension objects, and purging out the rest of the dimstyles. So now the radius and diameter dimensions behave ‘normally’.

I still have an issue with the radius dimensions though and it comes back to my original proposal - they need an additional control point. The example is simple - in the left-hand figure in the image below, I would like to turn on points for the green dimension object and move them so that the text is inside the red box - like the locked (gray) dimension shows. I can’t however (by just moving points). All I can get is what looks like the right hand figure.

DimRadExample.3dm (33.5 KB)

I can do this if I select both the arrow and the text control points and do a rotate around the arc center point; then slide just the text control point horizontally to place the text, but that is too much work - so if I have to adjust one of these dimension objects right now I end up just deleting it and creating a new one.

So what I’m looking for is adding one more control point and having them hooked up in a slightly different way. The existing control point which sits at the angle break of the dimension leader should be freely movable, but it should affect the entire dimension so that it can rotate freely around the center - that is to say that in moving this control point, the arrowhead would move as well, but stay fixed on the arc curve it’s attached to. In other words, the arrow line always stays pointing to the arc center, but by moving that control point, one can change its angle and length. Then, the additional control point, which would be at at the tail of the dimension leader next to the text, can be used to extend or shorten the tail line and so let you move the text back and forth horizontally. I hope that explanation is clear…

Thx, --Mitch

Edit: quickie mockup video in case it wasn’t clear…

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-62581

1 Like

Hi! How can I made this diameter dimension style?
And this radius dimension style.
Thank’s.

the only way (I think) is to use a regular linear dim and manually place a diameter sign in front of your dimension.

Rhino 7 Windows…
DRAFTING TOOL TAB…
RADIUS DIMENSION CMD.