Hull Design

I don’t think that your problem will be solved by the quicker methods since they do not respect the original design and construction decisions. More particularly you have a ram bow not a bulb and so its cross section will be very different, certainly a smaller radius.
To a great extent the solution will depend upon your desired accuracy and how many concessions you are prepared to make.
Can you give the name of the ship and if possible a reference so that I can do some research?
I had hoped that the private method would be more direct so let’s try again; my email is: strobe(at)iscad(dot)co(dot)uk
Regards

strobe, thank you. Privet email send. I hope this time to the right recipient…

Here is the example of my way to do this. I didn’t read all other comments here (too long) forgive me if I’m missing the point…
It all about adjusting control points.

Model file link:

Thanks kevlism. In fact we already went trough this solution. Please see my post above. It’s like 7th down from the top…:slight_smile:

I would do it with lofts, blends, sweeps, split surface with shrink ON and using a curve to trim one surface. I hope this gives you some inspiration.

I was afraid eventually somebody would suggest caesarians. Yeah, let me dwell on it a little bit. Your surface looks very nice though. Building it in sections might be the right answer here. BTW did you use any of VSR tools for your blends…? Thanks

Yes, VSR for blends is a must, all my surface patches are degree 5. The only real pain is creating the trim surface. It requires projecting curves and some careful point editing with VSR’s control point modeling command. This method allows the surface to flow smoothly and eliminates troublesome singularities. I really wish VSR made a super powerful patch command to handle these situations but…

Ok I didn’t want show the isocurves before because I was a bit embarrassed by them. I decided to rework the problem areas and complete the model to Class A standards. I was inspired by the discussion on class A surfacing on this forum. I used the Convert to beziers command on all the surfaces and it broke up all larger surfaces into smaller patches along the knot intervals. Very interesting that it split the bow blend surface into two surfaces.

I’ve got VSR tools just recently and am very impressed with what they can do and their way about getting it done. Very powerful plugin. As for the hull thank you for looking into it. Splitting hull skin into beziers might be useful when creating hull plating. I have never tried it before. It is something worth investigating.

rc cars

Hi Andrea,

please contact me off list; tonclass at sympatico dot ca

thanks

Sorry for the delay in responding. I didn’t realize this was an ongoing issue. Guess I’ll have to see if I can configure my account to send me email notifications.

The reason for the discontinuity is that you are trying to put a kink in the edge of a smooth surface without introducing kinks in the right angle direction at that same point. (eg, you want your U’s to be smooth, while your V’s are kinked.

My best advice there is to move the centerline control points forward of that knuckle into negative y, tweak them until the centerline buttock mimics the intended forefoot curve and then trim the hull. You can achieve miracles with a little negative space fairing.

This is very interesting suggestion. Many thanks. I will definitely give it a try. My hull is in a fairly advanced stage now but it doesn’t mean I can’t take a second look at that problematic transition.