How's the best way of doing this type of building?

So, I’m new to Rhino, and I’m trying to build this type of structure, can any of you point some directions, like commands, workflows, tutorials, books or links should I go to? Anyway, this is my first time asking something here, hope someone answers hahahahahahah
WhatsApp Image 2021-03-25 at 12.32.46

what level of detail do you want to capture?

Just the key shapes as visible in the bottom right hand corner, or all of the individual truss elemenets and flanges as shown in the top pic?

I want to capture mainly the collumn and the key shapes, and further in my modelimg process, add the truss elements and falnges

Start here

you are in your frustrated mode again? he is asking for links for tutorials and just some help how to generally get started with rhino, dude wake up really.

Provide him an answer! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Start with Rhino - Learn to use Rhino The videos can be useful. The User’s Guide, Level 1 Training Manual and Level 2 Training Manual are recommended. For the training manuals you can select the portions which are relevant to your needs.

1 Like

Good for you for taking this complex build! You will learn so much along the way. I built a film set similar to Zaha Hadid’s Morpheus Hotel in Macau using Rhino 6.0. Since you’ll need to build lots of compound curves on multiple construction planes, I would suggest that you start by building your shape with splines to get the design that you want as a wireframe before adding any more geometry. You will need to use these curves to generate more complex solids. Good luck!

Disclaimer: If you are new to Rhino and still don’t know where the icon of each command is located, you can write the necessary commands listed below in the Command line, which is on the top of the screen.

Tutorial:

1. Go to “Right” view.

2. Start a curve with the “! _Curve” command and before you click in the viewport first change the degree to 5 in the Command line. The reason to do that is that the default value of degree 3 will heavily destroy the smoothness of the curve once you start to modify it later by moving its control points. Degree 5 curves are always smooth.

3. Turn on the History recording with the “! _History” command and from the Command line choose “Record=Yes” and “Update=Yes”.

4. Create an offset copy of the original curve with the “! _Offset” command. It’s up to you whether you will use the “Loose” option or not. “Loose=On” will force the amount of control points of the offset curve to be same as the original curve. This is very useful if you intend to use both curves as input for commands such like “Loft” or “Sweep 2 rails” (also, important for step #14 below). However, the loose offset curve is a bit loose, meaning it will not be able to fully maintain the offset distance specified by you. Unlike it, “Loose=Off” will try to maintain the offset distance, but the amount of control points will most likely be greater (sometimes even 10-100 times more).

5. Select the original curve and turn on the curvature graph with the “! _CurvatureGraph” command and inside its pop-up window increase the “Display scale” to something between 132 and 140, in order to be able to see even the smallest changes of curvature as you move the control points. You can also change the “Density” to any number you like (I prefer using 4). The curvature graph will help you appreciate the smoothness of the Degree 5 curves.

6. Turn on the control points of the original curve with the “! _PointsOn” command.

7. Start moving its control points until you adjust the shape to make it closer to your design intent.

8. Use the “! _TweenCurves” command and select the original curve and its offset copy. Make sure that in the Command line you specify number 1. That will create one intermediate curve located exactly between both input curves.

9. Use the “! _Length” command to measure the length of the tween curve. You can copy the length numbers from the Command line, or just remember it.

10. Create a straight horizonal line somewhere in the viewport with the “! _Polyline” command. It’s recommended to make its length same or very close to the length of the tween curve.

11. Make an offset copy of the straight line using the “! _Offset” command and set the same distance that you used before in step #4.

12. Create a box using the “! _Box” command and make it the same size as the triangulation members that you want to put between the main rails of the farm structure. Place the box diagonally between the very beginning of the two straight lines. It’s recommended to make it extra long, so that its both ends go beyond the two straight lines (if your offset distance was 300 mm, make the box 600 mm long). Then rotate it to 45 degrees using the “! _Rotate” command.

13. Make a mirrored copy of the box using the “! _Mirror” command and set the mirror plane wherever is most appropriate.

14. Select both boxes and use the “! _ArrayLinear” command to make multiple horizontal copies of these along the two horizontal lines. You can specify the number of copies in the Command line. Make sure that all the copies go to the opposite end of the two straight lines.

15. Use “! _Loft” to create a lofted surface between both curves. Then repeat the command and make another lofted surface between both horizontal lines.

16. Select all boxes (optionally, you can group them together with the “! _Group” command) and run the “! _FlowAlongSrf” command. Make sure that you set the following options in the Command line before you continue: Copy=Yes; Rigid=Yes; RigidGroups=No; PreserveStructure=Yes (the last one is very important to keep your boxes straight after step #16). Also in the Command line, Rhino it will ask you to select a base surface, so you pick the bottom left corner of the horizontal loft surface between the straight lines that you created in step #14.

17. Next, the Command line will ask you to pick the corresponding target surface. Make sure you pick the proper edge of the other loft surface created between the two curves. That will end the command and you should notice the newly created farm members oriented along the two curves.

18. There are several ways to create the rails along the curves, one of which is the following. Create the profile with the “! _Rectangle” command" (or use other tools for any different shape that you want).

19. Use the “! _OrientOncrv _Pause _Pause _Pause _Perpendicular” command Placing the necessary profile at the base of each curve and using the “! _Sweep1” command. Make sure that you choose “Copy=Yes”. You may also need to use “Rotate=Yes” before you end the command.

20. Use the “! _Sweep1” command to create the metal rail of the farm structure using the original curve as a rail and the profile as a cross section. Repeat steps #18 and #19 to place another profile on the offset curve. Alternatively, you can use a different profile for the offset curve.
    On a side note, if you want a better control over the resulting metal rails, you can use two profiles for each curve - one at the start and one at the end (or any greater number of profiles oriented along the curve). Then use the “! _Sweep1” command by selecting all profiles as cross sections. Modifying individual profiles will also modify the shape of the output geometry if History is turned on.

21. Since you have activated the History recording at the beginning of the tutorial, any further change of the shape of the original profile will be followed by the same change of the copied profiles that you oriented along the curves. You can also move the original profile from its location and that will also move its copies oriented on the curves.

22. Buy pizza to your best friends or family members and post here a photo evidence that you got the pizza. :smiley:

2 Likes

I’m new at working with marble. Just got my first set of chisels and I have the big heavy stone in front of me. Can someone please tell me how to sculpt something like this? Any tutorials?

3 Likes

“The sculpture is already complete within the marble block, before I start my work. It is already there, I just have to chisel away the superfluous material.”

Michelangelo

4 Likes

Hi, if you are new you should of course learn the basic functions of rhino first.

This is a tough structure to model, but I would suggest using Grasshopper - this tutorial is based on a similar type of composition: Structural ribs with a ‘skin’ derived from the same underlying geometry. Grasshopper would allow you to experiment and tweak this form without having to remodel everything.
You would of course also need to learn how to use Grasshopper first, if you don’t know how yet.

This type of structure is quite advanced, so you should master the more basic functions first, before moving to something of this complexity.

Good luck!