How would you edit these two curves, maintaining their intersection?

See screenshot for reference – I’m wondering if there is a command that I have yet to encounter or a suggested workflow in which one can edit intersecting curves (such as the two yellow selected curves in the screenshot) and essentially bind their intersection, as if they were string glued together you could imagine. So if I moved one of these curves up in the Y, the other would follow, maintaining their intersection – ideally other curves could be bound too so they follow or “compensate” any adjustments made as well.

I guess I am asking about some kind of bind function, if it exists. Thanks!

in case those were isocurves from a previous surface you should already have the edit points coinciding then you can use _EditPtOn meaning by grabbing both edit points from either curve the curves will stay intersected. you can also use InsertEditPoint to create such intersections.

here an example. just active _EditPtOn and frame both points and move them around freely.

Untitled.3dm (17.6 KB)

2 Likes

@RichardZ Sorry to use you as my Rubber Ducky Sensei here, as I realize your suggestion of inserting a control point on both intersecting curves at the same point is indeed the quick solution I was looking for, and was something I already knew how to do. Thanks for your suggestions Richard.

Upon implementing the insert control point idea, I’m still having trouble getting both curves to be editable from the same point in XYZ space. When I add two control points to these intersecting curves, at their intersection, as you can see, the two points are not coinciding. Any additional thoughts on how to editing two curves from the same point?

Thanks Richard et al.

Control point added to each curve at their initial intersection, but results in non-coinciding points:

If you have three points in a row per curve and make the center to be intersected, you can highlight all to move anyway you like and the center point would stay intersected.
Not sure if you like this solution.

1 Like

@jarombra from what i see on you last image is that you have activated the points and not the editpoints thats a difference. that will not work. you have to use EditPtOn instead and only move those.

i did not test all situations of course. the question here would be what would you need that for? you can also create a surface with a network with history enabled, then each alteration of the input curves would update the surface instantaneously and if you need curves from this you can just extract the isocurves then.

1 Like

Aha! You are right – ok, this works great. Thanks everyone!