How was this tesellation done? - UNYQ scoliosis brace

Hi,

I found this scoliosis brace that was done by generative design and was very curious about how to replicate the process onto another prosthetic project that I’m working on.

Does anyone know how this piece could be made?

Thank you!

1 Like

It seems to be based on a dia(mond) grid with apertures or openings at strategic places.

Hi @sekimataki,

Have you visited the Studio Bitonti website (www.studiobitonti.com)? It looks like they developed their own software, Genysis, to do things like this. If you look at the Documentation pages on www.genysis.cloud you may get some clues to the tools they used and perhaps be able to find similar functionality in Grasshopper. Without reading deeply, I imagine that their Mesh Simplification and Surface Lattice tools were involved.

You may find that contacting Francis Bitonti as a fellow practitioner will lead to an exchange of ideas, although the company’s contact details do seem designed to discourage communication.

Regards
Jeremy

Thank you Jeremy!

Yes, I looked at their website but it seems like a business secret to share the process of how they exactly made it happen.

The documentation page is helpful, thank you!

It’s a diamond lattice, with strut thickness/hole smallness seemingly optimized based on loads in different areas.

Creating a diamond lattice in grasshopper is easy, changing it’s strut thickness or hole size based on a parameter is also easy. You can find tutorials for this all over youtube and vimeo, and also advice for how to do it on this forum.

Calculating the loads on a brace or a structure in different areas is something that can be done with a few plugins for grasshopper. I’m not sure which one to recommend because as far as I know none of them are free so I’ve never tried them. But if your interest is just aesthetic and not about engineering, see the above paragraph, and choose a parameter other than load to use to manipulate your lattice dimensions.

(post deleted by author)