How to turn Maelstrom "web" into 3D object

Hello, GH noob here. I’m trying to figure out how to turn a Maelstrom “web” into a 3-dimensional object. I know the Pipes command will work, but other than that I have failed to get any usable results.

What I would like to do is offset all the curves evenly in both directions on the same plane to create a surface, and then thicken that surface “upward” in Z. But I can’t seem to figure out how to do that.

I’ve tried extruding a surface in Z and then thickening that, but that didn’t work for me either.

I tried creating polygonal pipes from this post, but that failed in my file (I know I’m just missing something, but I haven’t been able to figure out what).

Any help or links to useful tutorials would be appreciated. Here’s a screenshot of what I am trying to do (please excuse ms paint), and the file I have so far.
MaelstromTest3.gh (10.9 KB)

well, the following solution is for sure not beautiful but it works until it doesn’t :slight_smile:

requires the Fennec plugin
(I also have used Wombat’s Random Color just for visualizing the different surfaces)

MaelstromTest3_re.gh (18.0 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks so much!
I got Fennec installed, but the file doesn’t work when I open it. It hangs up on the Regions command.
The error message I get is:

1. Solution exception:‘type’ object has no attribute ‘CreateBooleanRegions’
    Again, sorry for what is most likely an obvious thing. Any advice would be helpful.
    Thanks!

You could also use clipper plugin.

MaelstromTest3_re.gh (12.4 KB)

don’t know if it’s relevant, I’m on Rhino V7 SR17 (7.17.22081.3001, 2022-03-22)

did you unblock the Fennec.zip file downloaded from food4rhino before extracting its content inside the Libraries folder? it’s the only thing I can think about :slight_smile:

Thanks! That works. I will work on understanding how it works, so hopefully I can use those components in future files.

Here’s what I did using only native GH components:

I worked pretty well for this 3D print: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4165049

maeistrom-bb1.gh (12.8 KB)