How to turn a surface into solid object with thickness (Offset Surface)

Hi folks,
I’m trying to give thickness to this object and make a solid object with volume. When I offset surface, 2 problems appear. 1)surface normals are random and NOT UNIFIED. 2) the extruded surfaces don’t have clean conjunctions and edges.
Would anyone please help me with this? Tha

Capture FoldedPlateStructure-nAAB-2.gh (67.4 KB) Vase-for mold.3dm (126.3 KB) nk you :slight_smile:

You need to create the outside shape as a solid and difference away the cavity in the middle.

1 Like

Michaelkreft is correct:

1. Make solid outside
  2. Use ScaleNU to scale down #1 something less than 1 in X & Y direction (I typically use 0.95 - 0.98)
  3. Whack off the bottom of #2 using a solid (CAPped) cylinder the height of which you want the bottom thickness of you finished part to be
  4. Use SDiff to subtract #3 from #2

Here’s a page that shows how this works for a simpler outside shape: What is Paramtric Modeling?

There is a slightly more complex way of doing this sort of thing if you want a smooth inside surface.

1 Like

With this shape you can go to mesh and back real quick. The green group are components from Pufferfish.

FoldedPlateStructure-nAAB-2 PF.gh (68.8 KB)

1 Like

Thank you for your help, Michael! I appreciate it.

Thank you Birk. I’m sort of a beginner and your help is very valuable. :slight_smile:

Thanks Michael for your big help and time. that’s exactly what I was looking for. kudos to you