How to set material editor order?

@BrianJ

Hi,

all materials are shown in random order and I don’t find materials. Is there a switch?

-Micha

v6 beta correct? Right click in the thumbnail area and choose Tree for the display method, this will alphabetize the list. Also use the search field at the top of the Material panel. Does that help?

Thank you Brian, that helped. Also the names are nice small again. :slight_smile:

An other problem bother me. I can’t use Rhino5 because a mapping display
problem. But at Rhino 6 I get white materials only. Do you have an idea
please?

I’m in the middle of a big project and the dead line is near … (hopeless)

MeterialError.3dm (1.85 MB)

I believe the file was saved in v5 without the texture maps in the materials being embedded. Go back to v5 on the machine where the file was made and in Options>Document Properties>Rendering check the embed textures check box prior to saving. You should see the file size increase at this point at the top of Rhino 5’s UI. Then move the file to v6 to test if the materials kept their textures. If that doesn’t work, it may be due to the rendering plugin being used in v5 having it’s own embedding procedure.

Any luck?

The file is part of a project and it works fine at R5. If I open the
project file at R6, than I see a lot white objects. I tried to disable
the maps and to use the diffuse color. But it doesn’t work too. That’s
the situation at my last screenshot. Should the red color not be
visible? At R5 it works this way.

The material you have applied to the one surface in the file you posted has a reflection value of 100% so the color will not appear. There also isn’t an environment set to reflect and the skylight is off. Reduce the reflection value of the applied material and then in the Rendering panel click ‘Reset To Defaults’ at the bottom of the panel. At this point you’ll see the red material color but you still won’t have the missing texture maps in the file. When I open the file I also get a message listing the missing texture map local addresses…

“D:/3D Objekte/Dosch 3D - Trees & Conifers_CD1/3ds/Pine/Baumrinde5a.png
D:/3D Objekte/Dosch 3D - Trees & Conifers_CD1/3ds/Pine/Baumrinde5a_bump.png
D:\3D Modelle\Bäume\VVuuee\ChinAhorn_alpha.png
D:\3D Modelle\Bäume\VVuuee\ChinAhorn_green.png
D:\3D Modelle\Bäume\VVuuee\Eucalyp_1.png
D:\3D Modelle\Bäume\VVuuee\Eucalyp_1_alpha.png
D:\3D Modelle\Bäume\VVuuee\Eucalyp_1_bump.png
D:\3D Objekte\Dosch 3D - Trees & Conifers_CD1\3ds\Pine\Kiefer03_kurz.png
D:\3D Objekte\Dosch 3D - Trees & Conifers_CD1\3ds\Pine\Kiefer03_kurz_alpha.png
D:\3D Objekte\VBvisual_trees\Textures\LeVillagePlants\Plant1Trans2.jpg
D:\3D Objekte\VBvisual_trees\Textures\LeVillagePlants\Plant2.jpg
D:\3D Objekte\VBvisual_trees\Textures\Summer\008_2.png
D:\3D Objekte\VBvisual_trees\Textures\Summer\008_2k.png
D:\Projekte\IDEO\69 Flughafen Tokyo\input\Airport Idea 01 002_embedded_files\floor Signage-01.png
D:\Projekte\IDEO\69 Flughafen Tokyo\input\Airport Idea 01 002_embedded_files\floor Signage-01-alpha.png
D:\Projekte\IDEO\69 Flughafen Tokyo\input\Airport Idea 01 002_embedded_files\floor Signage-04.png
D:\Projekte\IDEO\69 Flughafen Tokyo\input\Airport Idea 01 002_embedded_files\floor Signage-04-alpha.png
D:\Projekte\IDEO\69 Flughafen Tokyo\input\Airport Idea 01 002_embedded_files\floor Signage-05.png
D:\Projekte\IDEO\69 Flughafen Tokyo\input\Airport Idea 01 002_embedded_files\floor Signage-05-alpha.png
D:\Projekte\IDEO\69 Flughafen Tokyo\input\Airport Idea 01 002_embedded_files\floor Signage-06.png
D:\Projekte\IDEO\69 Flughafen Tokyo\input\Airport Idea 01 002_embedded_files\floor Signage-06-alpha.png
D:\Projekte\IDEO\69 Flughafen Tokyo\input\Airport Idea 01 002_embedded_files\floor Signage-07.png
D:\Projekte\IDEO\69 Flughafen Tokyo\input\Airport Idea 01 002_embedded_files\floor Signage-07-alpha.png
D:\Projekte\IDEO\69 Flughafen Tokyo\input\Airport Idea 01 002_embedded_files\opening screen.png
D:\Projekte\IDEO\69 Flughafen Tokyo\input\Airport Idea 01 002_embedded_files\signage_for_render-02.png
D:\Projekte\IDEO\69 Flughafen Tokyo\input\Airport Idea 01 002_embedded_files\signage_for_render-03.png
D:\Projekte\IDEO\69 Flughafen Tokyo\input\Airport Idea 01 002_embedded_files\signage_for_render-10.png
D:\Projekte\IDEO\69 Flughafen Tokyo\input\Airport Idea 01 002_embedded_files\Tatami.jpg
D:\Projekte\IDEO\69 Flughafen Tokyo\input\Airport Idea 01 002_embedded_files\Tatami-bump.png
D:\Projekte\IDEO\69 Flughafen Tokyo\input\Airport Idea 01 002_embedded_files\Vegetation_Blur7.jpg
D:\Projekte\IDEO\69 Flughafen Tokyo\tex\mountfuji_preview_2.png
D:\Projekte\IDEO\69 Flughafen Tokyo\tex\PNG signage\signage_for_render-01.png
D:\Projekte\IDEO\69 Flughafen Tokyo\tex\signage_3.png
D:\Projekte\IDEO\69 Flughafen Tokyo\tex\signage_4.png
D:\Projekte\IDEO\69 Flughafen Tokyo\tex\signage_5.png
D:\Projekte\IDEO\69 Flughafen Tokyo\tex\signage_empty.png
D:\Projekte\IDEO\69 Flughafen Tokyo\tex\signage_short_1.png
D:\Projekte\IDEO\69 Flughafen Tokyo\tex\signage_short_empty.png
D:\Projekte\Mikoleit\Kaethe-Kollwitz-Ufer\tex\SpWeedC.jpg
D:\Texturen#Arroway\Gravel\gravel-013_smoothed2_2m_d.jpg
D:\Texturen#Arroway\Gravel\gravel-013_smoothed2_2m_d-ao.jpg
D:\Texturen#Arroway\Gravel\gravel-013_smoothed2_2m_r.jpg
D:\Texturen#Arroway\Wood vol.3\wood-100_oak-white-american-1-light_d_more-red_seamless_small.png
D:\Texturen#Arroway\Wood vol.3\wood-100_oak-white-american-1-light_d_more-red_seamless_small_refl.png
D:\Texturen#Arroway\Woodfloor_v1\Maps\Low\wood-10B_b2_low.png
D:\Texturen#Arroway\Woodfloor_v1\Maps\Low\wood-10B_d2_low_light2.png
D:\Texturen#Arroway\Woodfloor_v1\Maps\Low\wood-10B_r2_low.png
D:\Texturen\Baum und Busch\Bäume\Rinde\beech01b.png
D:\Texturen\Böden Wände Arroway.de high quality\tiles-59_b015_2.jpg
D:\Texturen\Böden\MULCH2a.png
D:\Texturen\Böden\MULCH2b.png
D:\Texturen\Bump Transparenz SpecialEffects\Lochung_01_color.png
D:\Texturen\Bump Transparenz SpecialEffects\Lochung_02_bump Kopie.png
D:\Texturen\color.png
D:\Texturen\color2.png
D:\Texturen\Grey50.png
D:\Texturen\Holz\Wood-dark-01.png
D:\Texturen\Metall\Kopie von Brush2e.png
D:\Texturen\Natur\Plantwall-B.png
D:\Texturen\Natur\Plantwall-B-alpha.png
D:\Texturen\Natur\Plantwall-B-bump.png
D:\Texturen\Stein\f6bbc855_texture_.jpg
D:\Texturen\Tastatur02.png
D:\Texturen\Tastatur02bump.png
D:\Texturen\Wände\Putz 6.png
X:\Temp\embedded_files\floor Signage-01.png”

These are the location v6 is looking for the texture maps but if they are embedded prior to saving in v5, v6 won’t need to find them. Did you make the file in v5 on another machine that has the textures in these locations? Or was the file set up in v5 with a specific rendering plugin that uses it’s own material definition like Vray? The version of the file you posted is saved out of v6 not v5 so I’m unsure.

I’m working on the one machine and the renderer is switched to Rhino, since I use the Rhino materials for Enscape. So, textures should be found at the original place.
The reflection setups are right for rendering. Looks like Rhino has a problem to show fresnel reflections. If yes, this should be fixed, since it’s very basic.

So, stays the challenge, how could I see my textures and colors without to reduce the reflection intensity?

Did you try clicking Reset to Defaults at the bottom of the Rendering panel in the v6 beta?

I didn’t know this panel and found it helps for some effects. Also I found now that at R6 there is a “fresnel” material option. It help me to see my reflective textured “plastics” like a wood floor.

Thank you,
Micha

Today I run in the same problems - materials are not in alphabetical order. Reset doesn’t help. Please add a command to the material editor. Also “remove duplicate” should be there.

(The material system needs some more attention, it’s quite unstable and difficult to control.)

Micha

That last comment doesn’t give us any information at all.

Andy

Right click the thumbnail area and choose ‘Tree’ view, this will arrange the material names in alphabetical order.

It’s not possible to rename a material to the same name as an existing material so this may have to do with how the materials came into the material editor. Can you save a 3dm with just the materials that show this issue and post it back here? Also, did you import the materials or import a file that created the materials?

Update: In another post of yours with the couch file, I see there a bunch of “unnamed” materials. These may be the duplicates you want to remove. I’d go into Tree view and then Shift select all of them to Delete them all. You might want to switch the material editor to display only used materials before this so you don’t remove ones you are using… that option is in the right click menu over the thumbnail area.

Please describe your workflow for any specific issues you’re running into and provide the 3dm files to help explain. I’ll make sure anything that’s a bug gets filed. Thanks!

Thank you for the quick responses.

material order

For the order issue - I got it, I have overseen that there was a special “/” sign at the beginning of the names (added by VfR in the past). Sorry, it was my mistake.

duplicated names

Attached one of my old test scene where I try to clean up. I get a lot duplicated “unnamed” files, also some named. It could be nice to find a way for a quick cleanup.

Interior testscene 002.rar (6.2 MB)

IOR

A main problem for me is the ignored IOR paramter. Some materials are showing 100% of the environment color. OK, the material was created by Vray in the past, but the usage of a “fresnel” flag and an IOR option is confusing. Without “fresnel” enabled the IOR parameter should be greyed out. Better would be the IOR is the only way to control the reflection effect and the “fresnel” option is removed from the UI. So, it could be easier to control it per plugin materials too.

IOR=1 no reflection / IOR 1.01 …1.5 … 2 plastic look / IOR 2…30 metal look

A new created object show this fresh material:

If I start to edit the material and move the reflection slider than I get a metal effect. I think a better way would be to start in plastic mode - IOR 1.5 and this value is used (fresnel enabled). So, at the viewport textures can be seen and not the env color only. My impression is this default setup would be better working.

Conclusion: this part of my post is a request for a changed default setup and fixing the confusion around the not working IOR parameter.

Rhino material UI

It could be nice to get a more complete UI. Each main parameter should get a texture slot (Gloss/Refl texture missed).

What is Refl.Polish? Could it be removed? Sounds like an exotic parameter. (Is for getting an effect like the flat look of the moon? Is this really needed?)

Transp. clarity is something like a refraction blurriness for frozen glass effects?

The fresnel flag could be placed in the near of the IOR parameter or removed.

PS: I don’t want to forget that it is Christmas tomorrow … have a nice time. :slight_smile:

You should use the Rhino material types that are provided instead of using the Custom material: glass, plastic, metal, plaster, paint. They all make creating materials much easier.

Refl.Polish is the polishness (inverse of roughness) of the reflection, i.e. how clean or blurry a reflection looks in the object. Contrast with Refraction Polish, which is the ‘cleaniness’ of what you see through objects.

For V7 there will see a revamp of the underlying material representation to something PBR-based (principled BSDF). I have been prototyping that a bit already, and for that all slots will be texturable.

My motivation to help to improve the basic Rhino material is that this material seems to be the connection to the render plugins or is direct used for example for Enscape. I hope, if the basic custom material works like expected and provide all classic parameter with texture slots, than this will help to get a better look at the Rhino viewport and for Enscape a better control of the materials.

Refl. Polish - if I understand right it’s the inverse glossiness too, right? Couldn’t we not disclaim this parameter, since we have a control over the finish and get other, missed options?

Is Transp. clarity the same like Refraction “Polish”?

I don’t think Rhino Custom will see many changes. As I said for V7 there will be a overhaul, but not earlier.

Reflection Polish is different from glosiness. Glosiness (Finish) is more or less the form and color of the specular highlight. Reflection polish is about the sharpness of reflections on an object surface. A rougher a surface results in less sharper reflections. Glosiness/Finish is not the same as Reflection Polish.

Transparency clarity means how sharp you see through a surface. It is like reflection polish, except it works more in the surface. Less clarity means unsharp transmission, see-through