How to rotate the views but not the models?

Hello,

I would like to rotate the view of my top, front, and right viewports so buildings are parallel to the X and Y-axis. My project has real-world coordinates so I cannot touch the objects. I have this:

And I would like to have something like this but with front and right views rotated in the same way

Set a CPlane in the orientation you want the X and Y axes to point, then your viewport will show everything the way you want.

If you click the top-left icon in the wiewport (“Top” in this case) and select Set CPlane, and 23 point, you will get he opportunity to #1. define a new coordination center, then #2. the direction of the X axis, and last, #3. the Y axis. Then you have what you want.

// Rolf

… and for the other viewports to follow along, switch to Universal construction planes in Rhino Options > Modeling Aids.
-wim

1 Like

Thank you both for your answers. I did as described by @RIL and the rotation part was good. Unfortunately, changing the CPlane also changed the coordinate system and this is something that cannot happen. Is it possible to rotate the vieport but preserve the coordinate system?

1 Like

You can switch the display of those coordinates to be relative to the fixed world construction plane:

-wim

Maybe Maybe you are looking for _TiltView SHIFT + ALT + RMB ?

1 Like

Thank you @RIL and @wim. Your combined advice solved my problem. Let me ask one more, just to be sure: by changing the CPlane I DO NOT change the coordination system? The World<=> CPlane just displays coordinates relative to the project origin or CPlane origin? It is quite important for me so I want to be sure.

Thank you @eddi for your suggestion. I tried that at the beginning - I rotated the “top” viewport. Unfortunately, I need the connection between 3 “planar” viewports so manual rotation is not an option.

Hi -

It’s a bit tricky to answer that question.
When you change the CPlane, you change the local coordinate system.
You can never change the “world” coordinate system.
If you don’t change any CPlanes, only the “Top” CPlane is the same as the world CPlane - all other CPlanes are local coordinate systems.
All default CPlanes have their origin at the world origin.

With any CPlane active, when you create geometry (e.g. a point) and put it at “0” (short for 0,0,0), it will be placed relative to the local coordinate system.
To force creating geometry relative to the world coordinate system, you can pre-fix typed coordinates with “w” - e.g. “w0”, or “w1,5,0”.
HTH,
-w

1 Like

Thank you @wim. Now it is a little bit more clear. The most important feature for me is being able to put into Rhino data (point clouds, maps, cad drawings) from different software but with one thing in the common - coordinate system. My quick test proved that even if CPlane is turned on, the data lands in the right place.

1 Like

that was awesome @eddi !!
Can the ortho be trained to work in this as a horizontal and vertical line according to the tilted view?