How to project image on wall?

In an interior scene, I need to have an image projected on the wall. With an image with black background, the black background should naturally have the same color as the wall. Everything brighter in the image should be brighter on the wall, just like when using a projector.

I tried a standard decal, but then the black background is black on the wall. Expected, but not what I want.

Suggestions?

By the way, I’m open to using other renderers than the default one in Rhino 6. I’m forever a rendering noob.

I guess in the basic renderer–other apps might have a feature specifically for this effect–using a Decal you would need to put the transparency of the blacks IN the decal, by Photoshopping that and saving as a PNG or TIFF.

That wouldn’t look realistic. The decal really needs to be added on top of the wall. Adding black to a white wall should result in white (in case of a projection).

Just installed Enscape, but that crashes. May try V-Ray. Hope that someone can help me fine tune the rendering later.

I mean use Photoshop to make the blacks translucent in your texture, then use that texture in the Decal.

I understand. But just making black translucent would not look realistic. What could work, and I have to think about it, and I don’t think it’s worth the trouble: Set transparency proportional to luminance for each pixel. Maybe there’s a Photoshop plugin for that.

Well it might be more complicated than just making the blacks translucent, point is just that there’s likely a way to adjust the texture to give the effect you want.

I would need the wall and all other objects in the scene darker as well, to accommodate for the difference in brightness. Guess I’ll look into V-Ray.

Please search for a reference image and put it here, just to be sure I understand exactly the effect you need.

I am pretty sure I can do it using v-ray .

I understand you want a light projection on a wall like a batman signal :smiley:

Look… :wink:

Haha, love the batman sign! In my case it’s the projection of a computer screen, though.

and what’s the problem? :stuck_out_tongue:
In reality there are some parameters to set, nothing fanciful, but a bit advanced.
If you are a beginner you would never get there and I don’t think you’ll find a tutorial …
If you’ll decide to go with v-ray maybe I’ll share the scene with you.
You are lucky today it rains a lot here and I decided to laze on the couch :smiley:
Just for you…

1 Like

Awesome, thanks! As I wrote, I’m forever a rendering noob, since something like thrity years. Rendering is a chore. If I had more time I would prefer to just build the thing and take a photo.

No volumetrics, but here a quick setup of a projector doing my desktop :slight_smile:

This is with Raytraced in v6.

update: here a quick capture of me playing with the projector position, just to ensure no-one thinks I’m cheating :slight_smile:

update2: because I was dumb I had the skylight still on, and diffuse bounces off. Here a new render with diffuse bounces on, and the skylight off

update3: and a final one with a different hero

1 Like

ok, it seems like there’s a render challenge going on here, next time say it first! :joy::joy:

apart from jokes, great job, two or three additions and I can think of using rhino cycles for my architecture renderings … :wink:

… and those are?

Thanks for all the examples! (volumetric rendering of light beams is probably distracting in my case)

1 Like

Maybe more then 2 or 3…

1. Render elements ( material id, reflection , specular etc)
  2. A proper camera with dof.
  3. Material layering/blending with masks
  4. displacement
  5. Curvature/dirt masks
    and surely other things I can’t remember now…
    but perhaps some are already possible and I am ignorant.
    unfortunately in this period I have little time to go further on cycles on rhino …

In Cycles (the Raytraced engine) parlance those are render passes. Cycles itself can do it, but there is currently not a way to get the data out.

You mean a separate camera widget? You are aware you can have DoF for the viewports?

I created a blend material that allows you to combine materials using textures as masks. Here a quick example of a highly customized material (a GH-created material with procedural normal map) blended together with a blue glass material.

This you should do using the displacement modifier in Rhino

Here a simple box with a PBR material and the displacement used:

The aforementioned PBR material is also available through the packagemanager, and works in Rhino 6. It has support for AO map, emission map, smudge map (didn’t thoroughly test, I must admit, though)

1 Like

@Pitti Your result looks great. I would be very glad if you share the scene with me too. :slight_smile:

@Micha I made a video :smile:
Maybe it’s a little too long and boring, I don’t have time to edit it …:wink:

2 Likes

@Micha , @feklee

here’s the scene projector test_2.zip (556.8 KB)

2 Likes