How to model this monster?

Hello friends . Can you help me how to get to this form?

Not sure why you would want to use Kangaroo for a surface like this?

1 Like

I thought it might be kangaroo. what is your suggestion ?

Iā€™d suggest SubD Sweeping. Webinar: Rhino SubD and Grasshopper modeling for Architects (day 2) - YouTube (skip to 01:51:00)

2 Likes

Thanks but I need this done in Grasshopper

I believe here is a Sweep2 component in Grasshopper. But more importantly:
The whole building? Windows and all of that good stuff?
Iā€™d rethink your selection of tools.

1 Like

it is usually a good practice to explain what your intentions are, to generate such a form is sure simple, but if you need the shape to be parametric in the sense of form finding then the answer might be very different

1 Like

Exactly . Making this shape in Rhino is not a complicated task but it becomes difficult when it is created parametrically in Grasshopper

that still does not explain in which way you intend the shape to be derived

In a way that the effective parameters can be changed after the completion of the algorithm, in the end I intend to optimize the form.

Uh huh.

Why?

Optimize what?

1 Like

Light enters the space after creating the form

There is a brazilian architect youtuber that do things like this, I donā€™t know of any other, he did a bunch of buildings

its the only good source i found in portuguese, sadly, but i am not aware of someone that does building in grasshopper in english.

the videos that he do buildings usually are called ā€œE se fosse no grasshopperā€ (What if it was made in grasshopper)

you might find something helpfull there

1 Like

How exactly do you want the building to be optimized in regard to light? Do you want as much as possible, as much as possible for a time of day?

This is a really big ask for this forum, and I think youā€™d be better off by taking a stab at it yourself. For instance, itā€™s hard to tell what exactly the shape is just from the single image, especially on the back side. If you could start by roughing-out the shape, that would be reasonable.

Hi,
If you want to use Grasshopper, it make sense to know exactly what is the recurrent shape to doā€¦
get the good connection between the objects.
personally

I made this model without so many experienceā€¦ but I start just with 1 point.
In the end you probably can adjust it to be simple.
dominic

Unfortunately not near a computer but this is how I would go about making this parametric. Judging from the image it appears to be lofts rather then sweeps. Once you have your final loft, can then put this into any of your desired simulation platforms. A note: just be sure that when interpolating the points to get the curves, use the same amount, this will make your final surface more streamlined when using iso-trim or making it into a mesh. This could end up being a lot so May try to generate the list with a ā€˜rangeā€™ componentā€¦ 0-360 with 5,000 numbers between. After all that just attach some sliders or use a graphmapper to further morph them! Could even do a series of these for skylights or entries or doors etc and interpolate between them with pufferfish. Happy grasshoppering!

@gkirdeikis Out of curiosity, if this was with windows/doors/etc - what tool(s) would you recommend? Something like Rhino inside Revit maybe? BTW, thanks for the incredible youtube channel!

For a building like this - I prefer using the term ā€œopeningā€ rather than window or door. This helps with not giving in to Revit family convenience and instead detailing the design with custom solutions.
For proposal phase Iā€™d do everything in Rhino without jumping into Revit. Once the approval has been granted and the technical phase has begun Iā€™d migrate the design into either Revit or Archicad (depends on which software package your engineers use). Much easier to do plumbing/electric/etc. this way.
But yea, TLDR; regular Revit door in a double curved facade is a no-no

1 Like