How to model an oak nut cap

Hi all. Tell me what you use and how easy it is to make such a hat in Rhino? I am newbie. It’s probably very simple, but I couldn’t find anything on the Internet

Hello- please see

to get started. Depending on what you actually want, what the goal is in modeling this, the approach will vary. It is unlikely to be a beginner project.

-Pascal

2 Likes

changed the title

generally dont confuse hazelnuts with acorns, what you are showing is not hazelnut. but while i was editing it seems that that was taken care off :wink:

make a circle with option deformable. and pull a few points down to give it a natural appearance. create a curve that is perpendicular tangent to the bottom if wanted but more important tangent towards the center on the top for a better result.

use RailRevolve with option scale height. you can also just revolve the profile and use the perimeter curve to trim it off if you want it more exact since railrevolve with option scale height will adapt the width slightly. use the start of the revolve axis the tip of the profile curve then ctrl click into that point once more that will let you select a 2nd point along this point vertical to z. or you simply use the centroid as a second point.

then use OffsetSrf with option loose and uncheck solid. lastly use BlendSrf on the 2 edges to close the acorn cap.

you can add a stem by making a curve from the top and using pipe. then trim off a circular opening on the top of the cap and use BlendSrf to blend that together but i leave that step to you.

1 Like

I did it. :grinning: thank you. But I don’t know and want to know how can I make these convexities, that is, an uneven surface.

i could not resist and made the update. that might not look very natural, its a compromise between your graphical example and reality :slight_smile:

not sure what you mean, maybe you encircle which parts exactly you mean.

1 Like

hat relief. How to make it from smooth to the one in the photo

what is the acorn for? use a noise shader in the displacement in the materials for instance.

I want to make a destruction animation with it later

ok then apply as suggested and use ExtractRenderMesh to get a solid mesh from this. from there its mesh only or you convert it back with quadremesh and option subd and what not but for animations to be used in other packages i assume strongly that mesh will be ok.

1 Like

Is it difficult to make a cap relief in Rhino? Is it easier with texturing?

well that really depends what your further intentions are. if you need the nurbs methodology due to precision reasons you can build it up by using Flow and FlowAlongSrf, so its definitely possible i gave it a shot and built up a grid of patterns and fiddling for maybe 20 minutes or a bit more for experienced users that might still be ok. if you do that the first time and have to trial and error your way through you might have more fun simply trying with texture instead. also with noise you might get more irregular patterns, right now it is rather accurate which might not be wanted. you can of course also build irregular patterns, the advantage here is that you have more control over the end result, with noise you are bound to more accidental patterns.

modelled attempt

2 Likes

Amazing. Thank you. I will try do it today :grinning: