How to model a 'pebble' kind of surfacee properly

Hi there,

I am trying to model a ‘pebble’ kind of surface (see image) through the curve network command, but I am getting a bad surface. I believe that I am approaching this not in the right manner.

I used the yellow colored curves the build the surface. The 2 other black curves could not be used, as the curve network command is not functioning with them.

I’d appreciate your advise. Thank you!

The surface has a similar softness as this product:

What is the best way modeling this kind of surface?

(Jakob Normand) #3

Hi Waikitchung

Here’s a couple of ways to get something similar:

pebble-ish surfaces.3dm (959.5 KB)

HTH, Jakob

(Jakob Normand) #4

Oh, and if you need the edges to be non-perpendicular, here’s another approach:

pebble-ish surface - not perpendicular.3dm (869.3 KB)

Cheers, Jakob

Hey Normand,

That’s really awesome!
Very clear and effective instructions.
Didn’t know that you can add text into the screen like that. Very cool.

Cheers,

Waikit

(Pascal Golay) #6

Hi Waikitchung - one way to get at this is with a loose loft as in the attached file- you can exactly match a vertical section curve if that curve is a degree 3 curve, (black in the attached) but that is not required to make this work. The key is to set the top curve and the point to loft level, coplanar with each other. You can have any number of curves lofted, I used only three and the point here. If you use History in the loft, you can edit the curves until the shape looks right- this example has History for the loft and also for mirroring the quadrants.

Pebbly.3dm (88.9 KB)

-Pascal

Hello guys!
I couldn’t see the instructions (curios myself), but why don’t you resolve this issue with texturing?

Cheers
Efilana

(Pascal Golay) #8

Hi Efilana - I took the orginal request to be about modeling a single pebble-like shape and not about applying a pebbly or grainy texture to a surface. Does that make sense with your question?

-Pascal

That’s funny. I read the request as efilana did and expected instructions for doing some kind of displacement. Probably because the reference photo has some kind of felt like texture. Took me a moment going back and forth to realize that.

Pascal, it totally makes sense and I am totally curious how did you do that. When I looked at the picture, I thought: that surface has bubbles, but they are so tiny and there are millions of them, my comp might not handle it well. that is why I thought of texturing it.
Thanks for the tip, tho. I didn’t know how to make this kind of surfaces either :slight_smile:

Hello Normand,

How about modeling an asymmetric pebble shape?
The 1st example you are demonstrating, shows a single profile curve that needs to be resolved along an axis that is in the center of the rail, which results in a symmetric pebble shape.
I’d appreciate your advise.

Thank you in advance!