How to manage properly a Block Library?

Hello,
I am stuck because I would like to manage a Block Library between multiple users.
I create a Blocks.3dm in which i paste all my blocks… and now my file is quite big, and I would like to avoid open it each time and copy paste my blocks

From a new file I would like to insert blocks by reading this “Library” file, retrieving the name of them and insert in my file the ones I choose…
Like using the Library panel but by discovering blocks inside a file…

Is there a simple way to do that or creating a script in Python or C# , is the only way?

Thank you for your help

hi Antoine,

the way I normally do it, is create regular Rhino files for each collection of objects you would consider a block, then in a project I use _Insert and insert them as a linked block.

Hi @Gijs
I apply this method by past and now I have the habit (maybe wrong) to keep my objetcs grouped in several 3dm files by “family”, like gears, screws, hardware stuff, people to avoid having so many 3dm files, but to be sure to see all of them together and without multiple layer name… it is clearer for me to have a visual view of my library when working on it and using latest Block property to add them description, materials and user block attributes…
Now my wish is to insert blocks, and not insert 3dm file as block…

Your second message is confusing to me, but consider this: Suppose you make a single folder with one type of screws, each as a separate Rhino file, then in Rhino, you choose Libraries and add this folder to the libraries of files you want to work with. Now you need a type of screw, open Libraries, open that screw folder and drag the one you want into Rhino, getting the popup to choose if you want to open it or insert it into your Rhino file. Would that work?

Hi @Gijs
I understand and try using your method, I added my folder, and I can see my 3dm files from Libraries tab, but when right clicking an choosing Import, there is a bug, nothing works, and drag an drop doesn’t work… seem a bug…
But in your method is it the geometry or the block that will be add?

In fact my “dream” will be to add not folder but a 3dmFile as Library, and see trough the tab panel, blocks inside to dag and drop them easily…
As I told you my problem is that I started to add data to my block, like Manufacturer, Model… And I have to import them as blocks from a “source file”, because copy/paste will always be source of problem if data had been changed by anyone on a project…
It is more to match a BIM method to embeed data managed from a single master Library file

It seems indeed that this is not possible on the Mac, RH-72159 Mac: Files in Libraries panel cannot be drag and dropped to ‘insert’ a file as block

@Gijs Thanks a lot…I’ll wait update on it instead of looking for hours something that could not work actually :slight_smile:
I’ll in parallel still investigate into creating a script to create a popup windows list of blocks from an external a 3dm file to choose and import it.