How to "install" a .rvb script?

OK, thank you to both @pascal and @clement, you put me on the right track, but it still took me a while to get all the bits in the right order.

To be more precise, including ALL the details that needs to be in order :

1. Write the script.
  2. And as @pascal says, make sure to leave out the “Call SubName()” (or the “Call Main()” row, which would be in the default code when creating a new script file)

Fig 1. §1 & 2 above:

3, Specify the script file to be loaded on Rhino startup (due to the rule §2 above, the script will not automatically run when loaded) :

Fig 2. Load script :

4, Now add an Alias for calling the script from the command line (“FL”) in this case :

Fig 3. Add Alias :

4, Add this post to the Rhino Help File. :slight_smile:

5, Done.

For anyone interested in the script (Find and Set a specified Layer as the CurrentLayer) here it is - FLayer.rvb :
FLayer.rvb (1.0 KB)

Hint: Full path can be specified, like so:

PARENT::CHILD::CHILD::ASO

To simplify typing long paths the script also translates any comma (“,”) into the std path delimiter “::”, meaning that also the following path would be found:

PARENT,CHILD,CHILD,ASO

If only the end target layer name is specified (i.e. “ASO” above) the first occurrence in the layer tree is set to CurrentLayer. If the layer name or path is not found, a message indicates so in the command line.

See also Layer search

// Rolf

3 Likes