How to get rectangular planar surfaces from vertical and horizontal intersecting curves

Hi,

you can see a truncated that is divided by horizontal and vertical curves. Both groups are intersecting at some specific points. The curves and points are in one layer with the surface of the truncated. I would like to draw planar surfaces (panels) between four point edges, but I do not know how to do that. At the bottom, there are some special geometries, because of the intersection. Please find my GH File attached.

191022-Forum.gh (104.7 KB)

Thanks for your help and time!

FYI, some useful patterns and issues?

1. Splitting the surface is complicated by the seam (and is VERY SLOW!).
  2. The ‘B’ output of CrvProx is useful, though needs “clean up” for nearest points that are far from lines.

191022-Forum_2019Oct22a.gh (125.7 KB)

1 Like

I would prefer the srf splitting method, because finally I need the individual panels. The problem is, that the brep splitting with the horizontal curves is not working on the lower horizontal crvs. You can see this problem at the output of the first SrfSplit-Component. Is there any other way to receive the panels (easily) :smiley:?

It looks to me like the vertical curves are the problem, not the horizontal? Extend Curve helps wit that, though still the unaligned seam in the surface. WARNING!! Very SLOW

191022-Forum_2019Oct24a.gh (128.8 KB)

It worked for me that I could seperate the individual panels. Then I tried to use “ExplodeBrep” to get the verticies of the panel. With the verticies I would like to generate the diagonal curves, that generates triangular panels. Finally I need the vertical, horizontal and diagonal lines seperated.

When it tried to the edges of the faces for generating my triangular panels, I recognized that the verticies are not in the correct order. I tried several ways to handle the sorting, but I was not able to solve it. Please find the GH File attached.

Forum191024-Panels.gh (34.1 KB)

The seam problem can be avoided by lofting the (trimmed) vertical lines and then dividing that surface as before, leaving no odd shaped rectangles along that edge. WARNING!! SLOW.

191022-Forum_2019Oct24b.gh (133.1 KB)

One easy way of doing that is a mesh for each set of panel points. WARNING!! SLOW.

191022-Forum_2019Oct24c.gh (135.7 KB)

Instead of the given vertical and horizontal curves, which force a certain “high resolution”, this kind of problem benefits from working on algorithms at lower resolution first, consuming less CPU power and memory, avoiding Rhino crashes and recommended Windows reboots, before dialing up the division counts…

P.S. Version ‘e’ below uses mesh FaceB (Face Boundaries, yellow group) to get surfaces instead of mesh faces. WARNING!! SLOW.

191022-Forum_2019Oct24e.gh (140.8 KB)

Thanks a lot for your help!