How to get isostatic lines (principal stress lines) in 3D?

Hello,
I would like to calculate the principal stress lines in a 3D volume. I tried the calculation on a cube but it only calculates the lines on the faces’ surfaces and the cube stays empty inside. Is there a way to calculate them inside the volume?
Thank you in advance.

1 Like

Would the Ameba plug-in help?

I’m guessing inside the volume there are surfaces of the principal stresses, not lines/curves.

Hi @monzer.al-khalil,

Karamba currently does not include calculation of solids, only shells and beams. Therefore the isolines you see are only on the outer surface of your volume.

best,
Matthew

Thank you for your reply, I will give it a try

Yes, I would also say that maybe there’s an option to visualize the surfaces but apparently Karamba3D is not able to do it

Hello,

I just checked but I can’t find if there’s an option to calculate and visualize the principal stress lines/surfaces. How and where can I find this option (if it exists)?

Thank you in advance.

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. Will there be an update that includes the calculation of solids soon? If not, do you suggest another alternative?

Regards,

Hi,
at the moment this is not on our roadmap, but feel free to add it as a feature request on our Github page: https://github.com/karamba3d/K3D_NightlyBuilds/issues.

I would say Ameba is the best bet, but we have not used it personally.