How to get FOV from Rhino.PlugIns.RenderPlugIn

Hi

When I select my render plugin as the current renderer, the Document->Render Properties options change.

However then flipping back to the Rhino Renderer, this panel becomes…

I take it this is a bug? Shouldn’t these screens be consistent? If the user selects the Rhino Renderer and sets a resolution, and then changes renderer, the resolution does not get copied across. I think this is creating a lot of confusion for some users.

Now - with the “Lock Viewport Ratio” UNTICKED in the Rhino Render properties, the Rhino Render panel renders to a resolution set in the NON-Rhino Render properties (ie. in the above case, selecting the Rhino Renderer and rendering, Rhino sets the resolution to 400 x 200 - but of course the panel to set this resolution is not available to the user when the Rhino Renderer is selected!

In summary - the Rhino Renderer is rendering to a resolution set in a panel which cannot be accessed whilst the Rhino Renderer is enabled.

Further to this, you can see in the render above the Rhino Render FOV seems to be arbitrarily set (it’s not using the HFOV, or the VFOV - so what is it using?). Also, how can a rendering plugin get the FOV that the Rhino Renderer is using? Without being able to access the FOV, there is no way for a rendering plugin to match the FOV used by the Rhino Renderer. I’m currently using doc.Views.ActiveView, but of course the FOV obtained from the ActiveView is that of the Preview window, not the FOV used by the Rhino Renderer.

Hope this all makes sense - and that there are some solutions.

Thanks

Paul

@andy, is this something you can help with?

Is Andy on holiday? Please help.

The first time you switch from “Renderer_A” to the RhinoRender, the render resolution settings are copied. Subsequent switching between “Renderer_A” to the RhinoRender doesn’t copy render resolution settings, in my testing. All this seems to be by design. If you feel the behavior should be different, then I suggest create a new post in the Rhino for Windows category and lobby for your position.

This isn’t something I’ve been able to reproduce. What am I missing?

– Dale

I guess I should also confirm that you are using Rhino 5 SR12?

Yes.

The first time you switch from “Renderer_A” to the RhinoRender, the
render resolution settings are copied. Subsequent switching between
"Renderer_A" to the RhinoRender doesn’t copy render resolution settings,
in my testing. All this seems to be by design. If you feel the behavior
should be different, then I suggest create a new post in the Rhino for
Windows category and lobby for your position.

It’s not for me to decide if this is the correctly functionality or not. However it is very confusing to the user. If it’s an important enough issue for a user - they can post it as a feature request.

This isn’t something I’ve been able to reproduce. What am I missing?

Start Rhino with current renderer = Rhino Render
Set Resolution to 100 x 200 via the render properties
Change the current renderer to OctaneRenderForRhino
Set the resolution to 1000 x 500 via the render properties
Change the current renderer back to Rhino Render and check the resolution (which will show 100 x 200)
Render - the resulting render is 1000 x 500, which is incorrect, since the render properties show 100 x 200

If you now update the resolution to 200 x 400 and render, the correct resolution is used.

Further to this, you can see in the render above the Rhino Render FOV
seems to be arbitrarily set (it’s not using the HFOV, or the VFOV - so
what is it using?). Also, how can a rendering plugin get the FOV that
the Rhino Renderer is using? Without being able to access the FOV,
there is no way for a rendering plugin to match the FOV used by the
Rhino Renderer. I’m currently using doc.Views.ActiveView, but of course
the FOV obtained from the ActiveView is that of the Preview window, not
the FOV used by the Rhino Renderer.

Any news on this one pls?

Thanks

Paul

I am able to repeat the render resolution issue you described - thank you. I’ve logged a bug for this.

http://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-31472

Hi Dale,

any news for the FOV problem? The problem is that the Octane output based on the Rhino viewport, but if the Rhino viewport is changing the ratio (f.example by moving toolbars) than the Octane output is changing (unwanted zoom effects also if the output is set at a fix size like 800x600).
All other Rhino render engines (Rhino, Vray, Brazil, Maxwell, AIR, … ) doesn’t show a zoom effect by changing the viewport ratio, the output is fix. Paul is looking for the way to implement this stable output for Octane.

Ciao,
Micha

For updates, see the above YouTrack link.

Hi Dale,

I ask you for an other problem not logged at the bug track. Here Pauls request and please read my last post again in relation to this question:

Here can be found an example image of the problem, Octane doesn’t get the view like the Rhino renderer:
https://render.otoy.com/forum/download/file.php?id=46113&mode=view