How to get a text outline to extrude with such edge features?

45a816a0de781ea0053a73d8a504bb15

1 Like

Do you have a question?

1 Like

Yes the title sir

You can try creating text as curves and then using extrudecrvtapered, but in the end you’ll probably have to create them manually.

Here is what ExtrudeCrvTapered at 45 degrees looks like with a similar font, after manual cleanup of the intersecting surfaces:

1 Like

Looks off for me, any thing to do with the settings

Check out this topic here: Old Town Roofs - Grasshopper - McNeel Forum

1 Like

Wow just skimmed through and feeling extremely overwhelmed haha, I am just trying to do the exact same ‘S’ thing you did and am simply not able to…

maybe its a settings error?
0.1mm height and the settings are as follows

This is difficult to say without being able to look at your file.

Please post a Rhino file with your geometry.

S TEST.3dm (90.2 KB)

Try changing draft angle to 45.

You’re doing it right. ExtrudeCrvTapered is a simple command and it does not have automatic trim. So you have to extrude the surfaces high enough to be fully intersecting, explode it all, then manually split the surfaces to clean it all up.

This workflow isn’t too bad if you only have a few letters to do, but if this is going to be a reoccurring need (like for a sign shop) then going with a Grasshopper solution would be the way, like what @martinsiegrist linked to.

Edit: I’d stick with 45 degrees for the draft angle.

1 Like

EDIT2.3dm (176.0 KB)
I have used 45 and the output looks extremely distored, maybe it is expected but how would the \trimming’ logic be, considering everything is so complex

If you extrude too far with ExtrudeCrvTapered then weird things start happening with the surfaces. Extruding just slightly past the point where all the surfaces are intersecting is generally the best approach in my experience.

On the Rhino session you attached, I used DupFaceBorder on the “S” floor to generate new line art, deleted all the surfaces, used ExtrudeCrvTapered at 45 degrees upwards to the top of the blue line, exploded the polysurface into surfaces, and manually split everything to clean it up.

n
EDIT2_02.3dm (549.5 KB)

In areas where the edge of the letter has a tight radius the bevel surface can self-intersect. Split the surface either side and delete the sef-intersecting part(s), then create a new surface to fill the gap.

If uniform depth is desired but the base has variable width then extruding at a uniform angle will not work.

An approach for uniform depth would be at create the center curve(s), possibly using TweenCrv, position the center curve at the desired depth using SetPt or Align, and then create the surfaces using Loft.

Start with sharp corners instead of small radius corners on the base curves, and fillet the surfaces.

For letters of the size in the file @Omegaalpha12433 uploaded a tolerance of 0.001 may be more appropriate than a tolerance of 0.01.